Driver Side Power Lock Switch does not work. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver Side Power Lock Switch does not work.

TToTheB

Reaction score
City, State
Manassas, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Driver Side Door Switch -

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. Recently the DRIVER side Power Lock Switch has stopped working. The switch will not lock or unlock. In order to unlock all doors in the vehicle I must use the key to unlock the driver's side then reach across to the passenger side switch and unlock the doors. I can lock all doors using the keypad. I have replaced the driver side switch but it still does not work. Can anyone offer me any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curious

Did you ever find the solution to your issue. I have the same problem in my 2002, except that I have a key fob and it works, but honks twice at me when I lock it like something is still open when nothing is. I am about to start looking for shorted wires but was wondering if you had any luck yet. The other wierd thing is that my switch works when the key is on but not when the key is out. Passenger side is fine though. Good luck to ya.

I am willing to bet that there is a broken wire in the loom that goes between the door and the body...

Question

Do either of you have experience with this? I am wondering (in my case). What could be broken that would allow me to work the door switches from the drivers door with the ignition on, but not at all with the ignition off? Is there a wire that is supposed to be on ignition? Guess I could compare to passenger side to answer question. Thanks for thoughts and sorry post pirating. Arrrrgggg!!!!

My driver door power lock switch will not unlock the doors, but works normally to lock the doors.
I've ordered a new swich, so I'm hoping for good-luck in the installation of the switch and that it's actually the defective item.

Back