• Register Today It's free!

Driver Window Problems...

fedyfedz

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 limited v8
while driving today i went to roll my window up and near the top i heard a loud snap/bang and then nothing happened as I fiddled with the window button. When i push down nothing happens when i go to put it up it doenst do anything but on the 3-4 frustrated push of the button it goes DOWN!?! after doing this a couple of times my window is now stuck half way opened.

Any advice on this topic? Im pretty sure i snapped the cord or it came off the track.

My one question is can I put the window up all the way if i take it off and do it manually by hand? Just to fix it temporally? I will take it apart once i get home to see what the hell happened.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

big bump

nevermind figured it out......the cord got frayed and got twisted and tangled in the window motor and jammed everything up to the point that when u rolled the windo up it went down...broke some pieces in order to get the window up in the mean time, looks like ill need a whole new window motor assembly. :(

Same thing happened to my rear window last week. Must be time for Long Island Explorers to self-destruct! Anyway, brand new replacement window regulator & motor on Ebay for $90 shipped. Front is around $80. Took all of 10 minutes to remove and install, with a little dremel and drilling. Do not fear. This is easy!

I just fixed my rear window a couple weeks ago. The plastic clip that held the window to the regulator broke on mine. Got a regulator and motor off rockauto for around $80 and it took all of 15 minutes to remove the old one and install the new one.

yeh i broke that clip as well, i tried drilling to get the rivet out and for the life of me i couldn't get it, and how the hell do you get the whole assembly out i didn't try yet but it seems like there is no space. Plus its not as easy as the manual says it is. its says move the window to half way, I cant move it at ALL!. the wire for the motor got frayed and now is all over the inside of the motor tearing and destroying stuff.

The back window regulator and motor was only held in with 5 nuts. I used a dremel with a cut off wheel, and ground down the front of the rivet then pushed the remains of the rivet through the back of the hole. Found a bolt same diameter as the rivet, and the rest is history. From what I've read and seen, the front is very similar. If you go to YouTube and type in "Explorer Window Regulator" there's like a dozen videos showing it hands on. Helped me a lot to see what's in there before I started.

I reused the metal tab on the window and made it fit into the plastic clip of the new regulator assembly. It looks a lot harder than it is. The hardest part was lining the tab back into the clip, which took 5 minutes.

Back