94 Explorer driver window problem

ureiman

Reaction score
City, State
stone mountain, georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
HELP!

I think the motor went out on the front driver side, the window will not roll up or down, went to the store it rolled down got back home would not roll up. I tried to get to the motor but have no idea where it is on the door or how to take it off.

HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 door or 4 door? the 4 doors have a cable apparatus in them that I'm not familiar with since mine's a 2dr.

First thing is to listen for the motor when everything's quiet. hit the switch and listen.

The most common problem is the plastic bushings the drive (not the motor) in the ring gear disintegrate. They are available for a bout $7 at, say, AZone in the Help brand section.

Here's a how to thread.

good luck

Make sure you drill the hole for the third bolt, otherwise you sit there for a half hour scratching your head until you give up and decide to search the forums and stumble upon the links shaggy and bwtguy just posted.

Is the motor running with no movement, or is it trying but the motor doesn't turn. Mine would try and not turn like it locked up. The lights would dim a little form the load with no window movement.

Mine was stuck in the down position. I had to remove the trim panel and unstick the mechanism. Once unjammed all the way down, I was able to power the window up. I just won't put it all the way down for now, until I get the chance to fix it correctly.

You may be able to do the same thing. After getting the panel off and the inside window bottom rubber seal, look down the slot in the door where the window moves up from. Take a long screwdriver and stick it in the teeth of the mechanism gear. Smack it hard enough with a hammer to try and loosen the mechanism enough for it to raise on its own.

Back