Driver's outside handle & power lock won't work. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's outside handle & power lock won't work.

Mark53

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer
Hello, Explorer-ers,

On a '92 XLT, the only way to open the driver's door is via the inside latch.
The other 3 doors power locks do work.
I've removed the driver's door panel... can't see any obvious problems.
(Aside:... What IS that "pc board in a plastic box" at the end of the wiring harness?)
This problem WAS intermittent... now it's constant.

I've looked thru this forum for fixes...
I Do Like this forum... very active, and Full of Great info. :thumbsup:
Can't find a fix for this problem, though.

Any clues?
Thanks, in advance.

Mark53

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump.

Can somebody help with this problem?

Thanks.

Welcome to the board.

Does the key open the lock from outside or no? If not, the rod for the door lock is likely disconnected. It can be common for the little yellow retainers to break. Either get a new one at the parts store in the HELP! section (should be a little pack of retainers for various makes and models), or get one from a used Explorer at the salvage yard or on here.

If that's not the issue, and the door won't unlock except from the inner handle, you'll want to inspect the power door lock assembly inside the door, and make sure the rods that let the electric motor push the lock open and closed are attached, along with those that run to the inner handle.

If the only issue is the power locks not working for that particular door, but the door opens/closes and locks/unlocks manually, then it's just something electrical, either the solenoid is stuck/blown, the mechanism is worn out/seized, or there could even just be a loose wire/connection or a short.

The PC board at the end of the plastic harness that attaches to the inside of the door panel is the module for the "one touch" feature that rolls the window all the way down if you flick the down switch. If it gets messed up, it will make it so the window will still roll down, but will not turn off the motor...a good way to burn it up. Make sure it is reattached securely to the door panel when replacing everything.

Thanks for your reply, Anime.

Yes... the key does lock and unlock the door.

Just thought I'd update you on the "fix"...
WIth the door panel off, and reaching in with my right hand to feel the locking mechanism,
I noticed a vertical metal rod that has some horizontal play in it.
I guess the (plastic?) bearings at each end are just worn.
When I hold that rod to the left (toward the vehicle interior), the door lock works as it should.
When I hold that rod toward the vehicle exterior, the problem appears.
SO... I mickey-moused a tiny spring (from a writing pen) to keep holding that metal rod toward the door interior.
The spring goes from the rod to the hole in the door edge where the locking mechanism is always visible.
MINIMAL pressure is needed. More might Break? the plastic bearings at the ends?
It's worked now for several months. MacGyver lives ! ;)

I Love this forum.
Now, I'm working on a power steeering leak.
Found a great post to remove the pump at
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252621&highlight=remove+power+steering+pump

Thanks, all.

Back