• Register Today It's free!

Drivers side coolant leak?

Kjhadfield

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac 4wd
I posted about a burning smell sometimes when I walked by the front left wheel well after turning it off- I didn't notice a leak then but I was recently spraying my shock boots (getting it ready ahead of time) and I noticed a green/yellow fluid wettness from bottom of the sway bar. I did just do a coolant flush a month or so back so I know it's coolant by visual, maybe I didn't notice a leak before because of old coolant being a watered down brown like color. So I popped the hood and was looking around and feeling around. I grabbed the hose (rubber that loops below the battery and by the ac compressor) and radiator (it leads to a valve type connection by radiator cap) and it had a wettness. This hose goes from a hard to rubber line.

A2F5DE17-6E78-457B-8292-C77F27026365_zps3dhmpnaw.jpg

(It valve is middle right and Below my finger is the hose)
A89A03A2-B7C5-403A-9F2B-1EA4C8033395_zpsl94ctvg7.jpg

Maybe since I also just flushed the coolant the smell is more pronounced but after driving and walking by driver tire is was a burning rubber smell and when I noticed the wettness/leak to see color and smell (yellowish and sweet maybe)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the hose you are pointing to is the power steering return line going to the cooler in front of radiator.

Power steering? That wouldn't leak power steering fluid but coolant? Forgive my ignorance

I tried looking on ford diagrams to name that hose but was unsuccessful (looking at the cooling category). I just figured since it was coolant to look in the cooling section

Far from an HVAC expert here, but recall reading that PAG oil can be green and indicates a leak in the system.

After looking at the picture again and rereading what you wrote I admit I was wrong and Swshawaii is right. That line is an a/c line and the oil in the system could have a green to yellow color especially if leak detection dye has been added to the system. The line is 100% not a coolant line. If you are leaking coolant it is coming from somewhere else.

Well I was just assuming it to be coolant because it had a yellow color to it (on my finger in the picture). The ac has not been real cold for awhile, well it gets cool but not like ice cold and as far as I have owned it no ac work or charge and dye has been added. Maybe po 6yrs back?

That was a bad picture to close, I'll get a better shot and try tracing the line (last time it wrapped to the back of the ac co pressure but wasn't sure). Would a leak in ac cause a burning rubber smell from driver wheel well after it's been run. Sometimes walking by you catch the smell and others not.

I don't think that's antifreeze on your finger. With fresh coolant a drip would not show any visible color on a finger. Coolant has a distinctive smell when dripping on a hot engine. It smells kind of sweet. I suspect (judging by the color) you're seeing penetrant from spraying your shock bolts/nuts.

As far as your A/C, you most likely are low on refrigerant. I just added a can to my daughter's 2000 Mountaineer, as it was not cooling as well as it should. That solved her problem. Your compressor shaft seal may be leaking oil. Dye has a bright green color.

Back