Driver's Side Manifold Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's Side Manifold Leak

xTu

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey all,

It seems my driver side exhaust manifold has spring a leak, though my actual mechanic and I cannot locate a crack. We think it's probably under the tubes where we can't see, or a hairline crack where the manifold mates to the head. Either way it's the notorious exhaust manifold leak, it has that oh so special sound to it :). My search of the forums didn't yield many results for drivers side manifold, but I hear it's the worst - how true? These are original manifolds, so the bolts are pretty rusty.

1. Would it help to spray the bolts with Knoil (more potent than PB Blaster) daily for two weeks (each time I get up in the AM)?
2. If a bolt breaks, what is the best way to remove the remaining portion of the stud?

The vehicle is my wife's, so it doesn't see road time until 2-3 hours after I leave in the morning. This is why I mentioned blasting the bolts with Knoil each morning. I figure after two weeks worth of that, I should be in a better position for removing the bolts... The other issue is P0420, so I ordered up a new bolt on cat from Rock Auto, I just recently replaced the post-cat O2 sensor, it was a different code that time. I've never changed a cat, so how difficult is this particular task? I've got impact tools so I suspect that will help, just looking to get an idea of what I am getting myself into.

Any and all responses are helpful, thanks!

Back