Can I Fix Exhaust Manifold Leak With Thermosteel Or Another High-Temp Cement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I Fix Exhaust Manifold Leak With Thermosteel Or Another High-Temp Cement

cantornikolaos

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited 5.0
Callsign
BigTime
I have an exhaust manifold leak on one of my 2000 5.0 Explorers. I am nearly certain that the leak is coming from the exhaust manifold gasket. I really don't want to take the manifold off and risk breaking bolts or studs trying to get it apart. I've had enough trouble with bolts that are rusted. Can I make an effective repair with Thermosteel, or another high-temp cement? Can I pour head gasket repair/sealer containing sodium silicate over it? I really, really, don't want to remove that manifold if it can be avoided!

Also, lastly, Can I remove the dip stick tube and install a new one without removing the exhaust manifold?

no, a blown out gasket will only be replaced by another good gasket
Trying to patch the blown out gasket from the outside will never work
Dorman replacement manifolds are under $100

Yes you can replace the dipstick separately from the drivers manifold

Heat is how you get those studs out without breaking them use a torch, or bolt heater, or map gas or at the very least turn them out while the engine is hot

We use Remflex gaskets, you will never have a leak again

Are you Certain its a blown out gasket? Look for the black soot
Often times on the 98-01 5.0 trucks the 4 front exhaust manifold bolts come loose and fall out!! sometimes they just need to be tightened.
On the passenger side the hot EGR tube is another common leak source, make sure you are dealing with a failed gasket

Back