Driveshaft question

Ryan1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
White Bear Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I was wanting to put a CV driveshaft from a 96-97 sport on my 94. I know I will have to get it lengthened. but when I looked at the CV Driveshaft the flange one the CV end is different than that on my 94. The other end is excatally the same. To my knowledge the CV end is supposed to bolt up to the transfer case correct? If so is there some adapter I can use or is the flange on the 96-97 t-case different from the one on my 94 4 door?

Mine is automatic transmission if that makes a difference. I would appreciate any information.

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what makes you want it to be a CV so much??? Wouldnt having the stock components stand up better than CV joints on account to angles?

general x said:
what makes you want it to be a CV so much??? Wouldnt having the stock components stand up better than CV joints on account to angles?

I have a spring over in the rear and cant get rid of my vibrations. Ive tried everything

Ryan

bump

So you think its the drive shaft causing vibration? Couldn't you have yours balanced? I had mine lenghtened for about $150. And I know they balance them when lengthening them.

*I have a spring over in the rear and cant get rid of my vibrations. Ive tried everything*

Hmm i see, I think keeping it as a driveshaft is a much better plan than using a cv joint but i havent seen anyone with cv joints used like that

Positive Vibes said:
So you think its the drive shaft causing vibration? Couldn't you have yours balanced? I had mine lenghtened for about $150. And I know they balance them when lengthening them.

I put in a extended driveshaft out of a long bed ranger.. I had the ujoints replaced and it balanced before I put it in.

Do anyone think it could be a bad tranny mount.

no real vibrations around town but once I get on the freeway and Im In OD and get upto about 1900-2000 rpms....horrible vibration. if I let off the gas they go away.

Ryan

Your tires have been balanced and the allignment done?

Positive Vibes said:
Your tires have been balanced and the allignment done?

Yes

Just checking!

So the vibration started after the SOA. Have you tried using the original drive shaft? I had 5.5"s of lift and my drive shaft was fine. I had it lengthened when I installed spacers.

Positive Vibes said:
Just checking!

So the vibration started after the SOA. Have you tried using the original drive shaft? I had 5.5"s of lift and my drive shaft was fine. I had it lengthened when I installed spacers.

Ya i ran my original driveshaft untill about 2weeks ago and I re did my soa with the superlift brackets to help straighten out the driveline and thats when I replaced the driveshaft with the longer one

thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Ryan

So you do or dont have vibration with the original drive shaft?

yes actually, I thought it was bacause it was too short and the splines were pulled too far out.

there seems to be less vibration with this driveshaft than the old one

Ryan

Hmmmm, I'm stumped. Your tires didn't sit for awhile did they?

If the DS is balanced along with tires and and a good allignment I'm not sure what could be causing it?

How bad is the angle of the DS? I turned my rear diff a few degrees to help.

By CV i think he means Double cardan, like what i did. I got a Double Cardan rear shaft off a '95 Sport so that i coule point my pinion up at the t-case and not have vibrations.

if I let off the gas they go away.

If thats the case wouldnt somthing else be related to this other than the driveshaft?
My transmission vibrates like a ....Vibrator?

Just throwing ideas around

Ryan1 - what's your pinion angle, did you change it from stock?

-=DaemoN=- said:
Ryan1 - what's your pinion angle, did you change it from stock?

I used the Superlift SOA Brackets for the rear. I guess it might have changed it a bit.

Ryan

Back