• Register Today It's free!

Driveshaft question

Foggman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 2dr Sport
I have a 2dr with SOA, and my driveshaft is NEAR its limit with regards to the slip joint. My question is would a 4 door driveshaft be TOO long. I know the over all vehicle length is different by about 10".

And if the whole driveshaft is too long, I wonder if either side of the slip joint would be just what I need to mix the two together. Basically if I took the short end of my d-shaft and mated it with the LONG end of a 4 door d-shaft or vise versa?

Can someone with a 4 door and SOA give me some measurements and also where on the driveshaft you are measuring (point to point)?
overall d-shaft length?
Short end length?
long end length?

Thanks, I appreciate it
Lance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Foggman said:
I have a 2dr with SOA, and my driveshaft is NEAR its limit with regards to the slip joint. My question is would a 4 door driveshaft be TOO long. I know the over all vehicle length is different by about 10".
10-inches is definitely too long. When I first went SOA, the driveshaft was extended 2" and that was on the long side I think.

I think a stock 4 door shaft is about 46" long or so

i ran into the same prob, my SOA and rest of lift made my stock shaft to short, i extended it to far once or twice and popped them apart in a mud hole, so i got a 4-dr shaft and had it shortened 6 inches if i remember right

the only difference between a 4-dr and 2-dr is the length of the rear peice, the frt peice is the same on both

Yeah, I am still deciding wether I want to lengthen my drive shaft or get a junk yard shaft and shorten it...either way, I have other things on my plate right now so it wont be anytime soon. Thanks for the info though!

the shops around charge more to lengthen then shorten almost twice as much, i bought the 4dr shaft for $30 and cost me $60 to shorten when my 2dr was like 120 to lengthen just my expeirence good luck

the shops around charge more to lengthen then shorten almost twice as much,
Thats right -- the only proper way of lenghtening a driveshaft is to replace the entire tube and transplant the old ends (the yoke and spline) to the new tube. Where are shortening it means to remove the old weld on one end, cut the old tube to proper length, and re-weld that end back on.

Back