97 explorer 5.0 awd front driveshaft question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer 5.0 awd front driveshaft question

jremington59

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's
I've had a vibration with my rig and I put it on the lift today. The front driveshaft is so sloppy it looks like it might fall apart. I called the boneyard and they have a couple but they said the have cv's in them. Mine looks solid. They said they are for a 97. Does anyone know if ford made 2 different styles or am I just not seeing the cv on mine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked closer and there is a cv on the end connecting to the transfer case.. Anyoneone have one they'd like to sell? Eric's out and won't have any new ones for a couple weeks..

I got the new shaft today and just got done putting it on. It feels nice not to have the vibration. The one removed was the original and lasted 175, 000 miles.

so the cv joint went out on it?

They make a rebuild kit for the cv part now.

The CV ended up chewed up and falling apart.

I saw the rebuild kits but I'd rather see how they hold up in vehicles before going that route. I had a really nice one made at a business in New Jersey that specializes in drive shafts. And the price wasn't bad. I paid twice as much as the kit would have cost but it's new on both ends and appears to be built well. I still may get the kit and rebuild the old one as a spare.

Do you have a link to the CV rebuild kit?

Ryan

Back