DRL (Daytime Running Light) relay on '02 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DRL (Daytime Running Light) relay on '02 Sport

CdnBlueStreak

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB - Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer Sport
Help!

I have looked up several other thread, but it hasn't helped much.

Anyone know where the DRL relay is on an '02 Explorer Sport? My DRL's are flickering and go on/off whenever I hit a bump. On other days, they work fine.

I have the part from NAPA, but I cannot find where the relay is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the '02 Sport is anything like my '00 Sport was (keep in mind there was a slight redesign in 2001), then the relay is just below the driver's side headlight. I disconnected mine to run HIDs. Just get on your back and fish around just below the headlight and see if it's there.

Let us know how it goes.

Look where the abs and fog lights plug in on the frame behind the drivers headlight. There should be a little black box on the far left.

Thanks for the help. Wow, that stupid POS is tucked away in there.

Anyways, I obtained a NAPA universal DRL relay which came with extra long wires, so I decided to clip the connector off, and soldered the appropriate wires together. I'll move the DRL relay somewhere into the engine bay and loom the wire bunches. Can't believe it isn't near a fuse box or something (which would make more sense) but with the extra wires, I'll move it.

Thanks for the help. Wow, that stupid POS is tucked away in there.

Anyways, I obtained a NAPA universal DRL relay which came with extra long wires, so I decided to clip the connector off, and soldered the appropriate wires together. I'll move the DRL relay somewhere into the engine bay and loom the wire bunches. Can't believe it isn't near a fuse box or something (which would make more sense) but with the extra wires, I'll move it.

Did the NAPA relay work. There are a lot of wires going into that module. I have been looking for one for over a year now for our 2002 Sport but no luck. A few Ford in the Wreckers have a different module in a big Aluminum module and totally bigger connector. I have no idea what years have this module and may have to start looking again the hard way.

Back