• Register Today It's free!

DRL Module

tripplec

Reaction score
City, State
Bowmanville, ON Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer LTD AWD
I am looking for a Daytime Running Light Module. I tried a wrecker last year without success. None of the vehicles were new enough. A number of cars as well but could not locate the module in most Ford cars. I appears that Ford changed the module used in this 2002 Sport 4x4.

What years or makes would have this same module in it. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know when Ford started using this module.

See Plug attached. (I am going to try and attach to the original post. I am not able to his. The option is not available for some reason.)

Attachments is turned off. I cannot show the connector for the DRL module. Dammm

So know body now anything about the modue ford uses.
Great, all Canadian vehicles have them and they're active all the time. There was a recall years ago but no longer valid for failed modules that much I figured out in research. For those with some interest. When the module is plugged in the light flicker very quickly (strobe effect) which is to distracting for oncoming driver. Its disconnected now but I would like to get it going again.

Or just go without. I disconnected mine when I went with HID and never looked back. That was 4 years ago. I like NOT having them, driving at dusk with just park lights etc. Yes, it's against the law up here, but I've never had any grief. Even the cops don't use them. :D

I found a local wrecker who has a vehicle. It poured cats and dogs today so I'll go up tomorrow for the part.

Have you tried Canadian Tire?....?

Si

They used to sell something much like a relay or electronic version. They would only working 80-90 vehicles. The module is an OEM part only and I wasn't able to find out what years or models Ford made were using this newer design. There are a lot of wires going into it. I found a wreck which has fairly complete 02 Explorer Sport in and they should be there I am told. I will drive up there today for it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, turns out Murphy is kicking around these parts. I got the module which was out of an Explorer 02 regular. The mechanic could not find it so I was asked to assist (the yard does not allow walk in customers). Turns out it was just behind the fuse box on the drivers fender on this EX while on the sport its behind the headlight. The module was the same but riveted to a metal mounting bracket. The connect was exactly the same. Turns out it did not work the lights did not come on at all. Further inspect revealed the part number was entirely different. This is a real pain when they don't work. I have no idea why the module would be different internally. But likely already belly up in the old X.

Man time, gas etc oh well I have more info to compare with now than before since the old module is out now.

PS: No thanks to Murphy. Anyone want to take him off my hands?

What is the part number off the old module?

What is the part number off the old module?

# XL2T-15A270-AB
The plug has two rows of 3 pins each running horizontally. I appears to be black plastic, no heat sink, steel etc.

I'll be away for the weekend and no access to the net.

Attachments

• drl.jpg
    drl.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,954

Ok, here is the pic sent from tripplec of the connector used for the drl module..

Attachments

• drl plug.jpg
    drl plug.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 2,542

For those who may have been hunting for one or wondered the picture in the first link by sean99 is what it looks like. The one I picked up out of a regular Explorer had it mounted to another bracket and on the fender behind the power distribution box on the drivers side. But it was a different part number and did not work at all.

Back