• Register Today It's free!

Dual Exhaust suggestions

ayyno

Reaction score
City, State
Blackwood, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Eddie Bauer
I have a '92 and currently I run a Magnaflow muffler to the stock tailpipe, and I would love to route a dual exhaust straight out the back. I am willing to relocated my spare, so that's not a problem...I just need some pictures of your layout for those of you who have done it.

I've seen a couple of you guys with it done.

Also...my plan is to do a Y-pipe out of the muffluer...should I get a dual outlet muffler instead? should I use a different muffler?

Any suggestions are welcomed...I will post pictures and videos/soundclips when I'm finished.

First off, fake dual exhaust does NOTHING performance wise. So as long as you know you are just spending money to have two pointless exits instead of one, that's fine.

You CAN get a true dual setup if you redo the plumbing and have the stock Y-pipe split, then go for dual converters, a dual-in/dual-out crossflow muffler, and whatever you want out the back or side. Fairly expensive setup for the end result though, without much performance gain unless you've got a lot of engine work or a nice V8 in there.

The easiest and least expensive setup would be just sticking a Y-pipe on the end and having dual outlets.

0.jpg

Next easiest/cheapest would be either a Y-pipe off the existing single-out muffler, or a dual-outlet muffler, and then having the two pipes turn toward the side, exiting in front of the passenger side rear tire.

bassani_harley_exhaust.jpg

You can also run dual 2" pipes along the same route as the usual single-exit pipe to exit at the stock location. It can be a tight fit, and it will take some work on the part of the shop to get the bends right and make it so the shock and sway bar link don't make contact during suspension travel, but it is doable.

Other than that it's running the left side into/around the spare and having it match the left, whereever you decided that should be. Again, a really pointlessly lengthy setup, that adds nothing except weight and complexity to the system.

My suggestion would be instead to get a Dynomax rear pipe (#45274), and use that on your Magnaflow. It's 2.25" tubing, has the stock hangers to work with the existing stock brackets, and is mandrel-bent to give the best possible flow. It's also only 40 bucks. The tip is ovalized, but you can have it rounded out or even have a dual outlet welded on there. If you have it welded or use stainless steel band clamps, you can maximize the flow without crushing the pipe or muffler inlets/exits.

explorer-tailpipe.jpg

Back