dual voice coil subs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dual voice coil subs

Reaction score
City, State
Lunenburg, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
i'm confused on how to properly wire dual voice coil subs... im looking at this DVC sub from Rockford Fosgate. it has 2 coils that can handle 200 watts rms @ 4 ohms each. obviously i could get a 2 channal amp the produces 200wx2 @ 4 ohms and wire each coil up to each channel... but im not sure if i would to spend the money on an amp like that... but if i wired the coils in parallel they would present a 2 ohm load to the amp, but can i only put 200 watts to the sub? basically, my question is could i hook this sub up to an amp producing 400 wattsx1 @ 2 ohms?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Id say no. I dont think changing the resistance of the subwoofer changes the rms capability of it.

well the description of the sub says that it can handle 400 watts RMS. it is really no different than having 2 individual subs. so can you hook up 2 subs that can handle 200 watts each @ a 4 ohms, in parallel (which would present a 2 ohm load to the amp) to an amp that produces 400 watts RMS at 2 ohms? would each sub receive the full 400 watts of power? or would it divide and each receive 200 watts? it is the same with a dual voice coil, i just cant seem to figure out if this set up would work, ive obviously never tried to so any help will be appreciated greatly.

Im sorry i cant figure out what yo wanna do. Do you want to run 1 sub that handles 400 watts rms or 2 subs that handle 200 watts rms each?
so can you hook up 2 subs that can handle 200 watts each @ a 4 ohms, in parallel (which would present a 2 ohm load to the amp) to an amp that produces 400 watts RMS at 2 ohms? would each sub receive the full 400 watts of power? or would it divide and each receive 200 watts
Each sub will recieve 400 watts rms. Does that help?

If the amp can take 400 watts RMS total and it is dual 4 ohm coil then yes you want to give it around 400 watts RMS total.

What you are going to do is wire the coils in parellal to produce a 2 ohm load then hook it up to a mono amp. Do not use a 2 channel amp and bridge it unless it is stable at 2 ohms bridged.

This is the amp i'd use - http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/MTX421D

I didnt think you could push 400watts rms into 200 watt rms subs... sorry:rolleyes:

Originally posted by FordKawaHauler
i'm confused on how to properly wire dual voice coil subs... im looking at this DVC sub from Rockford Fosgate. it has 2 coils that can handle 200 watts rms @ 4 ohms each. obviously i could get a 2 channal amp the produces 200wx2 @ 4 ohms and wire each coil up to each channel... but im not sure if i would to spend the money on an amp like that... but if i wired the coils in parallel they would present a 2 ohm load to the amp, but can i only put 200 watts to the sub? basically, my question is could i hook this sub up to an amp producing 400 wattsx1 @ 2 ohms?

sooo its a dual 4 ohm vc. right? that can handle 400 watts rms...
You could either as you said run a two channel amp putting 200 to each voice coil, or parallel wire the sub so that is a 2 ohm mono load and run a 400 watt mono amp at 2 ohms to it.... That would work!!!!
This isn't really a hard question to answer.....

basically, my question is could i hook this sub up to an amp producing 400 wattsx1 @ 2 ohms?

The answer to your question is yes!

no, just turn the gain down a little.

Back