• Register Today It's free!

DVD headliner rattle

keith h

Reaction score
City, State
Landenberg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Limited 4.6L
I doubt I am the first one with this problem, but my DVD rattles when hitting minor bumps like expansion bumps. It may be the whole headliner/sunroof/HVAC sytem assembly.

I had the dealer look at it under warranty and they installed a new DVD player. While that is nice (the old screen was scratched) it did not really fix the rattle. Anyone else?

Oh they also had to replace the torque converter which was making noise and both rear wheel beariings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes my DVD player does the same. I was hoping to find a fix for it here, but so far no luck. It needs some type of reinforcement or something on the whole mounting assembly.

With the moonroof, there is nothing for the DVD unit or headliner to connect to in the center, so there is the rattle on bumps. This is the main reason GM has said they can't package the DVD and moonroof together until next MY.

I was afraid of that (not enough support engineered in.) For what it is worth, I complained to my dealeer and he just replaced the whole DVD unit. OF course it still rattles but now there are no scratches on the screen (left over from the first owner's ankle-biters.)

I think separately, the moon roof has a rattle too and I will at least get that worked out.

There's got to me a way to add some reinforcement. Well I"m hard headed, so I"m going to take the cover off and take a look. Some steel tubing would sure have kept it solid.

Well keep us informed. I suspect that it is more than the DVD and the moon roof. There is also the rear vents that are behind the headliner.

any new ideas???

I have an 03 EB with the same problem. Drives us nuts!!!

There is a Ford TSB out for adding a crossbar to help the shake. I will try to find the number.

So, did anyone ever get that TSB number, or the part number for the fix? I've searched and searched, been to three different dealers, no luck.

I *****ed about it at the dealer and they fixed it. They had to install a new DVD player.

Thanks, but that's not very helpful to me. I'm out of warranty now, they won't fix it. I need the part number or TSB so I can buy the part and install it myself.

The TSB # is TSB 04-24-1. It is rather long. If you would like a copy let me know and I can e-mail it out to you...

Jeff

That would be most excellent. Sent a PM with my email.

been gone for a bit but still have the same issue. Does anyone have a copy of the TSB they can share?

Check to see if the rattle is coming from the DVD player hitting the roof, just push up on it over some bumps and if it stops it is hitting the roof. You dont need to reinforce it just put some foam padding between the roof and the top of the DVD assembly that way they wont hit eachother. We have to do it all the time when we add aftermarket DVD players.

WOW.....alot of work to stop a rattle (which I too have). I am going to try the foam first and see what happens!!

WOW.....alot of work to stop a rattle (which I too have). I am going to try the foam first and see what happens!!

What is your e-mail and I will send you a word file with the TSB.

I did not get around to doing anything on this until this weekend when we took the Eddie out for a long 5 hour get away to visit family. My wife took the wheel for a while and as I sat in the passenger seat I could hear the vibrating DVD player right over my head. I grabbed a McDonalds napkin from a recent stop, folded it up, and stuck it between the player and the roof and it was dead silent!!!

It's still there and look really bad having a napkin sitting there but it works. I will have to check out the TSB and in the meantime look for some sponges to hide in there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DVD rattle

I had the same problem with my mountaineer, hopefully yours is the same issue. I pulled the DVD player down and noticed a small black box held onto the metal bracket with a zip tie. The tie was loose and unable to cinch. I replaced the tie, securing the box tightly to the metal frame, reinstalled the player and no more rattle. Good luck! It's not the bouncing, it's the box slapping against the metal frame.

Back