• Register Today It's free!

Dynomat stop door panel rattles?

beavis195

Reaction score
City, State
Sammamish, WA and Provo, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4 door
This is probably a dumb question, but will dynomat applied to the door sheet metal stop the plastic door panels from rattling? I see how the dynomat would reduce vibration, but the speaker almost touches the door panel...hmm. And you guys have talked about a rubber undercoating applied to the door panel, but what brands make it and which ones are good. And will the reflectix stuff stick to the undercoating? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

An anti rattle option

I have a 93 Explorer and the plastic door panels on
it rattled some too. But I didn't have any fancy
padding to stuff in the door panels. So, I used
some roofing tar paper. It may sound strange, but I
got the idea from seeing a similiar material used on antique cars. I cut a small piece that follows the contours of the door and put the plastic nails through it. No glues or adhesives used. I havn't had a squeek since then.
Cheap,easy, and no damage to the door or panel.

John

The problem with roofing tar paper is it smells like roofing tar paper!! Dynamat will work, it worked for me. Actually the plastic trim panel wasn't rattling as much as the actual door where the speaker is mounted. Now the only thing that rattles is my side-view mirrors.

Steve

my experience

I'm in the process of doing the undercoating and reflectix right now. (I got half way through and had to stop and probably won't restart until after March 17th, but here's what I learned)
Don't use rubber undercoating on the backs of the plastic panels, use the regular undercoating. The rubber undercoating I sprayed on the bottom of the body STILL isn't hard and it's been on there for weeks. Regular undercoating hardens in hours. I used it on the two big back panels and they are much stiffer and don't flex and pop so bad while going down bumpy roads. Make sure to tape off any areas you don't want to get that stuff on. I did and am very glad I did. That stuff would have gotten everywhere.
I used rubber undercoating on the body itself becuase it is supposed to help reduce road noise. Again make sure to cover up anything you don't want undercoating getting on. I only sprayed up to the bottoms of the glass because I didn't think I needed to go any higher.
DO NOT try to stick the reflectix to the undercoating. The undercoating will not be able to dry with the reflectix covering it. I waited a couple of days and then glued the reflectix to the rubber undercoating (which was STILL kind of soft) with weather strip adhesive. The reason I am using reflectix is for insulating purposes more than sound proofing. (though it also works for soundproofing)
I used silicone around all of the holes that the pins that hold the body panels go through.
Make sure you do all of this in a HEATED garage. I suggest at least 60 degrees. I did it in a 75 degree garage. The warmer the better. The vehicle also has to have been in there long enough to heat up the metal body so the undercoating will stick good.
I have only done behind the two large body panels in the back so far. I have already noticed no rattling on bumpy roads from the panels and a major reduction in road noise from that area. I believe once I get the doors, lift gate, and floor areas done I will have no rattles and next to no road noise.
I am going to use Dynomat directly around the door speakers (they rattle a lot) after I wire them to my amp.

The roofing tar paper does not smell. I have had no problems with it. Works great if you have some available.

Thanks for the replies, but what is the undercoating exactly? Who makes it? Thanks

how to explain undercoating

It's kind of like a really tough, thick, textured paint or something. It comes in aerosol spray cans. Lots of different companies make it. I recommend 3M. It worked a lot better on my Daytona than the off brand kind I used on my Explorer. You can get regular undercoating or rubber undercoating. Rubber is more durable, but also more expensive.

its just thick rubber tar-ish spray. you can get it at any auto parts store for about 3 or 4 dollars a can. oh, and, give it time to dry!!

Back