Dynomax VS flowmaster... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dynomax VS flowmaster...

They have it

Great! I just got an email from the shop i found through the magnaflow europe site. :)

All i need now is to figure out what muffler to order. :D

Just PM´ed 99ex22 to guide me in the buy, as there is numerous sizes & models..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need info guys..

I just talked to the shop.

I can get any muffler i want.

Now i just dont know what to do.. Dual in says itself. But single or dual out.. How do i want it after the muffler.. Im not sure.

I have tried searching for pics of various setups, but i cant find anything.

I also asked the shop about the yearly emission/control test and if i might have a problem. They said that generally, the guys checking the car has no idea about this truck and they can only assume that everything is legal on it.

But taking that into consideration i am wiorried that making the "lightning style" exit will draw unwanted attention the the exhaust...

I really would like to have a daul out system. But getting the exits made in the back i think will be expensive.

And what about sound? If i have dual out from the muffler, in theory, will it make more noise or less? i know the lenght of tubing has siomething to say also, but speaking in general, what is more noisy?

I cant decide what to do right now. I hope you guys can help me decide...

Thanks.. :)

It's best if you can get a dual in that matches up to the factory pipes, otherwise the shop will make a Y-pipe before the muffler, which usually isn't as good for performance as having the muffler be where the flows meet.

2-into-1 is much easier to route out the back, though duals are possible with smaller diameter 2" tubing to follow the stock routing out the back and between the shock and sway bar. Usually the problem is the tubing for duals will be too large, or at least larger than you'd need for a dual exhaust on a V6. It is possible for the shop to use a reducer or expand some pipe and make dual 2.5" exits on the muffler change to 2" dual pipes.

I would say a 2-into-1 with a 2.5" outlet and single 2.5" pipe out the back would be your best bet for a system that sounds good and performs good, but doesn't draw any attention for anything other than it's sound.

The "lightning style" side exit is very doable (with either single or dual exit), but the shorter pipe length makes for a louder exhaust, and you'd have to check the local laws on the legality of a side exit. Not all cities/countries allow for an exhaust in front of the axle. Keep in mind it will also be louder IN the vehicle with the side exit, the muffler placement on Explorers already makes it real easy to get exhaust drone inside the cabin. This can be annoying if you do a lot of on-road driving.

Dual outlets don't affect noise all that much, you'll get a pretty mellow tone if you have a dual-in/dual-out muffler that has an "X" cross-flow inside to equalize the exhaust pressure.

It's most important to have the right size pipe, since you can have a VERY loud exhaust with big pipes, but it will only be loud..the pipes will be too big to allow for proper flow.

My suggestion would be for either single 2.5" pipe or dual 2-2.25" pipes after the muffler, but if you go with a side exit in front of the rear wheel, you can probably just do dual 2.25-2.5" pipes.

Be sure you get some kind of performance air intake, too. Otherwise it won't take advantage of the new exhaust.

Thanks for the info! :)

Be sure you get some kind of performance air intake, too. Otherwise it won't take advantage of the new exhaust.

I did "the cheese" some weeks ago and dropped a K&N in the box (or what is left of it...:p: So im ready.

So.. I have no idea about the rules & laws here, so i dont know about the side exits actually..

Maybe i should just go with the dual in/single out and get "not true" dual rear exits.. :rolleyes: i dunno..

Rules are that there aint no rules..

I talked to the shop. He said it depended ion the guy checking the car.. :scratch: If he care or not..

Otherwise. He said if they gave me any beef about it, i sould just tell them that the truck is sold like this in US.. And it has been like this always... :p:

But i guess it forces it to really look pro and has to be made nice.
I will go to the shop monday and put it on their lift, so we can figure out if theres room for it at all, keeping all Cats. Cause removing any, is a big no no.

I cant wait!

Back