Dynomax VS flowmaster...

O.Madsen

Reaction score
City, State
Madrid
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Yep. I have tubed all videos..

But i cant really rely on the recordings... So. here is a simple question.

If i want a sound louder than stock. But not crazy loud. Whats it gonna be?

If u have a 3. suggestion im all ears... But. I dont want "f***ed up loud" just louder than stock.. And a nice deep sound...

I cant determine from the vids HOW loud they are compard to stock..

And. I have emission control every year here, so keep the suggestions to kits or a muffler. Not straight pipes or anything. I have to have muffler on the beast...

And. I dont know if this makes any difference in the sound of this truck, but i want a side exit...:p:

Thanks..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go with a Flowmaster 50 series muffler. It's quieter than the 40 series and it should give you the sound you're looking for. Dynomax is not as good of quality muffler in my opinion...thin material.

Go with a Flowmaster 50 series muffler. It's quieter than the 40 series and it should give you the sound you're looking for. Dynomax is not as good of quality muffler in my opinion...thin material.

I agree with Fabbed. I beleive Flowmaster has a deeper, more 'tuned' sound, if you will, than Dynomax does. Almost makes the Dynomax sound ricey. My 40 Series Delta Flow does have fairly excessive highway drone, but I still love it! The 50 series is more quiet during cruising i beleive.

do u want a loud exhaust or quiet.

I got single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and i love how it sounds. It sounds loud and deep.

Previous owners of my sport had the 70 series flowmasters and that is the quietest exhaust ever so i got rid of and i much much happy with the 40 series flowmasters.

This is like asking "Blondes or Brunette's"

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. :)

This is like asking "Blondes or Brunette's"

So, which one is the loudest? :p:

Well. Im happy for your answers. Cause i cant really judge it myself in crappy vids.

The flowmaster 40 sounds nice in some clips.. And ****ty in others. And since there are no other explorers here at all, i have never heard how it sounds in real life.

I beleive Flowmaster has a deeper, more 'tuned' sound, if you will, than Dynomax does. Almost makes the Dynomax sound ricey

Ricey... :thumbdwn:

Anyways, If i chose a flowmaster 40, will there be any difference in if i run it to the back or do it "lightning style"?

Ok. Its an easy pick..

I can only trust the majoritys choice here, since it seems that the flowmaster is by far the most popular muffler here.

The sound in the vids, is crappy, and 2 identical setup/ engines sounds totally different. So to use that as a reference is not really of any use.

So. I guess i just have to be exited to hear it on my truck and hope i will be happy with it... Cause i will order it... Which leads me to something thats sucks..

I have ONE place here i can go and order stuff like this.. And i just talked to the guy. And he said i can only get the kit. Of course i can buy the muffler only, but apparantly not through him. And. Its pricey.. in dollars it just around 550.. And thats a lot. Especially when i want side exits and will not even use the tubing going to the back.. So i really dont feel like ordering that, cause i waste a lot of money.. And 550 dollars.. i feel like he is ripping me off.. I prefer the muffler only as well.

I have tried to search for a vendor here in europe, but without luck. And the american pages i have found uses some weird payment method i dont know. And i dont really trust anything i dont know.

So if any of u have info that can help, having good experiences with a specific place that ships to spain or know a european vendor, i would be really happy. It seems "performance parts" or what u call it is not something they carry in rockauto.. :(

Thanks!

Have you at all considered Magnaflow. I managed to get mine for about $60 and it was the Polished Stainless Steel, rather than the Aluminized. I've been very happy with it myself, even got a y-pipe to a single in/out and just stuck a turndown on there. Granted, you're looking for something a bit quieter, but they do have a 3 chamber muffler that may work the XL3. I have a Dynomax SuperTurbo that I've been trying to sell on ebay, it's actually a really expensive muffler and RockAuto does sell it. That's where I got it. It's now up to $160. Yet nobody seems to want to pay over $30 for it. So I guess I'm stuck with it. Magnaflow is made much better than the Dynomax, and O'Reilly Auto Parts sells Dynomax and Flowmaster. My only beef with Flowmaster is that they don't really flow all that well with all the baffles. But it does change the sound. I've also heard that the Flo-Pro sounds pretty good on the SOHC.

Shipping to Spain, that's something I have no clue about, you could always try ebay and see if you can find anything on there. And Google Shopping is a wonderful tool to find good prices.

Look into Magnaflow. Much better muflers than Flowmaster (or as I call them Blowmaster)

I totally forgot I had this, Here is my Explorer with the 40 series Flomaster

And I have yet to show this baby off, so I think you'll just enjoy this little bit:
This is my finished '78 Vette with dual Flowmaster Super 44s.. hope you can tell the difference as I have turndown tips right after the muffler.. it's a bit louder as will the 'Lightning Style' exhaust will be if you choose to go that way.

One thing you have to take into affect though, is the Vette is a V8 :\

^ vids dont work. We need a direct link.

I have a dynomax super turbo on mine. It's mostly stock sounding but when it heats up it sounds pretty good.

I enabled enbedding, does it work now?

Here is a clip of my Magnaflow....

By side exit do you mean before the rear tire? If so, don't do it! It looks horrible! Im always seeing rangers with it and it looks great so I went to my local muffler shop and payed them 150.00 to do it for me and it came out like crap! I think the ranger body either hangs down a little lower or their frames are tucked in a little more. Anyway I hacked the pipe off with a hack saw the next day and bought a turn down tip so it ends before the rear axle which is what your hearing in the video.

Damn its not easy..

But thanks guys.

Whats sucks the most is that getting it home is not easy, so im kinda leaning on that "import-guy" og mine.. On top at that. They all sound great i think.. :D

I think i will go with the flowmaster.. I dont want to spend all that green and then realize that the exhaust i bought is just as wimpy as the stock one i have on already. I dont want to risk that.

I will order the flowmaster 40 cat back. Maybe the yearly controls wont pay attention to it that much when it exits in the back.. :p: On top of that. Noone here knows how an american truck is supposed to sound like anyways.. Its already loud and beefy in sound, compared to all the others on the road.. :rolleyes:
If they complain about it. Well. I guess its not spain for nothing. Ill try with some free cold ones. And maybe they will let me pass anyways.. Thats how i got my legal -alien papers to get done faster, haha!

I would say base the decision on what you can get for your money rather than paying for a more expensive muffler just for how it might sound.

Some people DO prefer the flowmaster sound...BUT other mufflers like Dynomax, Magnaflow, Borla, etc. will give better performance.

Flowmaster achives it's "tuned" sound through baffles that cause turbulence.

Most other major brands have straight through or turbo (S shape) flow.

If you can get a better flowing system for less, I would suggest that rather than going with a flowmaster, especially if it's incredibly more expensive.

Well...

If you can get a better flowing system for less, I would suggest that rather than going with a flowmaster, especially if it's incredibly more expensive.

Well.. it doesnt matter what o order from this place.. everithing is like double price.. :rolleyes: But thanks for your concern :)

I am at work now and im googling as a maniac for a solution.. AND. I think i found a small workshop that carries magnaflow. I have found a magnaflow europe site and they refer to this place to get magnaflow products..

I just sent an email to the shop asking if they carry it. Cause. If they do. I will get that, cause i can save a lot of money.. And.. it sounds really good in the vid provided from 99ex22 here in this thread.

Thanks for that, by the way. Sounds good. All i need to know is what specificly is that muffler? They have several models in their site..

I really hope they carry those. Then i can do it all a LOT cheaper. And i like the sound.. :D

cross your finger, amigos.. :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would take a Magnaflow over a Flowmaster any day.

Straight through performance design, stainless steel so it won't rust through, too.

You'll have to ask 99ex22 which Magnaflow muffler is on their ride if you want the same sound, maybe some pics of what it looks like installed might help too.

Back