• Register Today It's free!

E brake problem

lancer

Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane, State of Queensland, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 UN XLT Wagon
The E Brakes, (in Australian terms, park brakes) on my 1996 Explorer UN do not work at all when applied. The car just rolls forward. The auto park is the only thing keeping it stationary.

Not being very familiar with the rear park brake set up on Explorers and reading a bit about similar problems by other owners, I am reluctant to take it apart to try and fix them.

The lever in the backing plate, which is activated by the flexible cable, moves a fair way when the brake is applied, but the brake itself does not take up at all, so I guess that the brake shoes are worn out.

It seems, after doing some research on various forums new shoes are difficult to install virtually without taking the whole of the disc and bearing unit apart.

Also, searching on Ebay for replacement shoes is not a goer, looks like they are not a hot shelf item.

They are seperate items from the main discs aren't they? Or is the park brake an integral component of the rear disc set up, with the main disc pad itself being the holding piece?

Any advice from Forum members would be appreciated.

Les Bryant
Brisbane, Australia
lancer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im pretty sure the pads are seperate (someone correct me if im wrong) I do know that changing the e-brake pads from what ive read, is usually a hell of a project, from rust mainly, but yea, id guess that your pads are worn, or maybe somewhere in the line is toast, causing them to like "not engauge" or whatever you'd wanna say.

They are separate from the disc brake pads. They are basically drum brakes, and use the hat of the brake disc for the drum. Some people can change them in 20 minutes, it takes others hours. You can change them without taking the axle apart, it's just not as easy to do.

Hi lancer,
hand brake shoes ford explorer 95 on, try repco, supacheap etc bendix brake manufacturer, part number bs 1774

Thanks all.

That advice is very helpful.

My mind is a bit easier now to tackle the job.

Les Bryant'
Brisbane, Australia
lancer

Back