E-brake shoe replacement question... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

E-brake shoe replacement question...

bjso3572

Reaction score
City, State
Northern, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 EB 4X4
So I just got back from failing my VA inspection due to needing to replace rear E-brake shoes. Dealer wants $390 for the job!!!! Just curious if any of you have had to replace this and how big of a PITA it is. Autozone sells the shoes for $57.00 and new hardware for $25. Wanting to know if any special tools are needed, and if anyone has done it how long of a job is it. I just can't justify paying $390 for this. Any help is appreciated.
2005 EB
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did this job when I replaced the rear hubs/bearings. While I have tools specific to drum brakes I didn't use them.

I'd say it's an hour job for someone with decent mechanical aptitude. If you've done drum brakes before this will be a piece of cake.

Also, I believe the failure for these shoes is the bonding between the shoe media and the metal backing/bracket. It lets go and the shoes fall off. I didn't need any hardware when doing the job as it was all intact.

BTW, I also went with AZ shoes as they were stupid expensive everywhere else.

i got the cheapest i could find too, about $60. Hardest part is getting that rotor off, you can find tips here. . .
Thing i found living in one of the great salt states, is the drum of the rear rotor was totally rusted up, i tried to have them turn, but i wound up getting new rotors too.

Hardest part is getting that rotor off, you can find tips here. . .

Yep, nothing a bit of elbow grease and a BFH can't solve.

Yep, nothing a bit of elbow grease and a BFH can't solve.

yep, one hour, thousands of hits later . . .lol. . .left side came off, right side 5 minutes just pulled off.

So I just got back from failing my VA inspection due to needing to replace rear E-brake shoes. Dealer wants $390 for the job!!!! Just curious if any of you have had to replace this and how big of a PITA it is. Autozone sells the shoes for $57.00 and new hardware for $25. Wanting to know if any special tools are needed, and if anyone has done it how long of a job is it. I just can't justify paying $390 for this. Any help is appreciated.
2005 EB
Thanks
Yeah! "Mr. Tire" asked $571 to replace my e-brake shoes. I bought the shoes and hardware online at rockauto.com for some $60 and paid these guys some $175 to install them. Still cheaper than the dealer.

I had a local shop do mine last year. The pads were $50.00ish and the labor was like $80.00

Back