• Register Today It's free!

Rear E Brake Shoe Replacement

babygrand

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 5.0
Yesterday I was finally able to get my rear rotors off of my 98 (using the help of past posts on this message board). On the passanger side, part of the emergency brake's shoe flaked off :( Does anyone have an opinion on how important it is to have functional shoes on the ebrake (even if I don't use the e-brake often)? And if I should replace them, how hard is the job? Do I need special tools to remove the hub or any of the e-brake components?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to pull the rear axle's to have full access. You can do the job without removing them, but it's kind of a pain in the a$$ since there isn't much room to work. I did mine without removing the axles and it took me about 2 hours.

If you tackle the job spend the $15 or so and get a new hardware kit, using the old rusty springs and everything sucks.

E break

I was having a brake job done they called and told me that the E brake fell apart and it had to be replaced. I said look I have not used it in like 7 years so justr leave it off. When I got there they just put it on for the 25.00 it cost for the part. So now I will have a new E break that i never use.

Yeah, pretty easy. Easier with the brake tools, but can be done with plyers and screwdrivers. I agree with getting the whole kit, but I think when you buy a brake show kit it comes with all of the springs and such. Just remember to adjust them so you don't have to do it again next year, like I do. It's just like doing a set of drum brakes, which is a pain in the neck, but not all that hard. I can't imagine why you would ever pull the axle to replace the e-brake shows though.

The E-brake is worthless on our Xplorers & Mounties. I would not be that concerned with replacing it.

Ebrake replacement is just like replacing the shoes on any vehicle with drum brakes. Not worthless. My ebrake holds the weight of the truck on a pretty good down grade.

Not sure about you guys but we have to have it or we fail state inspections. Since I don't use mine either, I have to make sure I fully release the brakes by smacking the arm with a hammer (otherwise they hang up).

just fix it. its not that hard the first one is always a pain in butt but just take your time with it and you'll do fine.

Back