easy check for leaky fuel injectors... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

easy check for leaky fuel injectors...

switchusmc

Reaction score
City, State
kansas city, mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4x4 4dr 4.0 sohc
Ok so this isn't a for sure check.. but it helped me(i figured this out on my own)

this may be a rare issue but... this morning my wife went to start the truck 97 explorer) and it wouldn't... it cranked and sparked.. but no fire.

I could smell fuel but could not see any leaks. So i took off the fuel line and had her prime the line by turning the key to acc. I know this could be dangerous so if you do it this way do it at your own risk. Do not smoke or use open flame around it. I had a buddy with a fire extinguisher nearby just in case. It had pressure, so i hooked it back up and repeated.

This is when i heard the problem. It sounded like running water.. or rather a drunk urinating on a wall (sorry it's just what it sounded like)

I took the intake manifolds off and while looking in the runners i found that the first runner in the sequence had a big stain on the wall.. so i repeated the prime test and it dumped all the fuel into that same (first) runner... so viola..... leaky injector (a bit extreme yes)

I bought the truck two weeks ago and i've been hunting down the idling and powerloss issues.. which i think i found.

But the "easy check" part... find a quiet place and have someone prime the.line a few times... then listen for dripping water sounds it's not fool proof but if you do hear something... there is a leaky injector. If you don't yiu may be fine... or you need to do more indepth testing (pressure gauge etc)

Back