• Register Today It's free!

EATC Trouble shooting

JChrisMarion

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0 AWD
I have searched for any help on figuring this problem out, with no luck. I dont have a wiring diagram for my Explorer, which would help.

I have a 97 EB 5.0 with automatic a/c controls. My Blend door had broken so I replaced it and at the same time a new Actuator since the gears were slowly stripping out. Installed everything, plugged in the actuator and started the Explorer. Turned on the A/C and smoke poured out of the actuator. A capacitor inside popped. Nice right! Got another one, plugged it in and now it doesnt do anything. Change temperature up and down and the door doesnt move. Pulled the actuator out and adjusted the temp, no turning. It worked before the repair, just clicked from the gears and what not. I am trying to see if the control unit is somehow FUBAR'd or what. I dont want to try and replace it and it be something stupid.

Any online wiring diagrams? Havent found any here as of yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could try the EATC head unit's self test mode. Be sure to follow the sequence exactly because it can sometimes be finicky about going into ST mode.

Interior tmperature should be 40~90F
Ignition switch in the RUN position

Press and hold the OFF button
Press FLOOR while still holding OFF
Release both buttons
Immediately press AUTOMATIC (within 2 seconds)

Wait patiently while the head unit goes through its test (could take 30~60 seconds). If you get '888' at the end, then the system has passed with no trouble found. If it finds something wrong, it will display a diagnostic trouble code or codes. They are listed here.

I just did that, thanks for the post, it comes up with 24 & 25. According to the link you gave me, 24 is 'Blend door actuator shorted' and 25 is 'blend door not responding'.

I threw out my old one once I ordered a new one, not thinking I would need it anymore with stripped gears. The first blew a capacitor like I said, the second one hasnt done anything. I am reading more of the link you gave me, but I would like to test the wiring to see if I am getting power. Not sure which wires this would be.

Thanks, Chris

Good, that's somewhere to start. Be careful because the 95~97 HU is pinned differently that 98~01 and that how-to includes both versions.

Also, be sure that your actuator is marked ATC or EATC, not MAN from the manual Explorer air conditioning. The manual and EATC actuators are not interchangeable.

Correct, I found that there were two actuators when I went to order one. However, I tested the actuator motor by pulling the case apart and it spins in both directions when voltage/ground applied. So it does function. Now I am gonna see if it is even getting power to the actuator. If it isnt getting power, then I am gonna assume that the Control Module is bad. Which I pray it isnt.
:censored:

Just tested the harness plugging into the actuator. According to your link, the diagram for 95-97 is
OR - Blend door drive 1 (CCW)
DB/LG - Blend door drive 2 (CW)
BR/WH - Blend door position feedback
OR/BK - Blend door ground
LG/OR - Blend door +5 volts
GY/YE - +12v
BLK - Ground

The bottom four are all correct and perfect. Voltage/Ground that is. I checked Drive 1 wire during self test and it went from .00v to .47v then back down to -.03v . Same for Drive 2 during self test. However, changing the temp myself it does nothing. Seeing that the harness plugs directly into the back of the control module, I am going to assume that it is not working. Or should I try another actuator? I wish I hadnt thrown the old one out. Atleast I knew the electronics worked.
:banghead:

The answer to this wonderful equation is that the blend door motor ( Air Door Actuator ) was boxed wrong from Ford. I kept getting 98+ Explorer's instead of 97.

Example that 98 and up will not work in a 97.

The answer to this wonderful equation is that the blend door motor ( Air Door Actuator ) was boxed wrong from Ford.
That's great. So .... is it fixed now?

Yes, sorry such a late reply. Didnt figure I would have anyone reply to it anyways.

Aparently there is a circuit missing in the 98+ Actuators. Kinda dumb though.

Hello, not sure if posting on an old thread is good or bad but I have a problem with my blend door actuator. I've done the eatc tests and receive code 25 error. I've checked the blend door itself for operation and all looks good and nothing broken. So all that is left to do is purchase a new one and install it....

However

There is a little mystery that I need help with. My ac/heater controls are electronic (digital controls) not a manual dial...I follow the instructions for eatc control and get the self diagnostics...but... When I look up my actuator, like at doorman...The part I have in my hand looks like the one they CALL MANUAL controls. The automatic one looks different. The reason this is important is my ac/heater controls have an automatic button that has never worked...

So do I have an eatc or a manual system? Does the doorman part 604-202, WHICH LOOKS LIKE THE PART I HAVE but labeled manual adjust the temperature when the automatic button is pressed?

Or would I get the doorman 604-201 which has is labeled for automatic but looks differently.

At the end of the day I am confused why I have an eatc and a system with an automatic button but have a manual actuator.

My vehicle is a 2000 ford explorer limited...

Hey guys, I'm kindof in a tough spot. I bought a 00 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD and it has EATC. When I bought it the person I bought it from said it needed the blend door and had the door. When I went in to replace it I noticed the door seemed fine but the actuator was gone and someone had cut the wiring harness.

I got a harness free from a junkyard but none of their vehicles had EATC. So I have a harness that will plug into the actuator, but the wire colors in my vehicle are different than the wires on the harness and I'm not sure in which order to hook them up. (If you look in my posts you can see pictures I posted)

I believe the color differences are due to having EATC where the donor vehicle I got the harness from didn't.

Do you, or someone you know on here have a 2nd gen vehicle with EATC that could take a picture of the wire layout in the harness for the actuator so that I can get this job finished up?

Back