Completed Project - Eaton M112 Supercharger Installed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Eaton M112 Supercharger Installed

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.

mrboostman

Reaction score
City, State
Pismo Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hi all,
I have just completed the installation of an Eaton M112 Supercharger from a 03-04 Cobra on a 2000 Explorer 5.0. The vehicle is up and running with a SCT Tune, but I am still working the bugs out as it is operating at only 5 LBS of boost which is about a quarter of its potential. It still pulls much harder than the Eaton M90 I had on it, but I am trying to build more boost. If anyone needs additional info about the project feel free to PM or email mrshoman1@yahoo.com I can send you pics if you send me an email address as I don't think I can attach pics to this thread.
Thanks, Damon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you should get a free account at someplace like photobucket.com then you can post the pics on here.
I'm sure numerous people would be interested in seeing this. Myself included.

What other info on this? Did you start out with like an Explorer Express supercharger kit and just upgrade the supercharger, or lots of custom work?

YES I need pics especially of the manifold. I didn't think the elbow would clear the cowl but I guess so. Running a 6 rib belt on a 8 rib pulley also?

Yes, this project started off with the EE M90 kit. That got maxed out at 10 lbs of boost and about a 17,000 rpm blower speed. I then added torque monster headers, gt40 aluminum heads, a comp cams blower cam, and snow performance methanol injection system. It made about 275 RWHP. When I am able to make 12-14 lbs of boost with the M112 I should be at 400-450 HP at the tires. The truck is a 4X2 with a 4R70W auto trans and 410 rear gears. I have converted it to a Hurst racheting floor shifter.

Awesome Damon,
Can wait to see the results once u get that crank pulley taken care of, Here are some of you're pictures, awesome build & clean installation :thumbsup:
P7180303.jpg

P7180301.jpg

P7180304.jpg

P7180300-1.jpg

P7180298.jpg

Nestor,
Thanks for helping post the pics directly. I will keep you posted on the results once I get the larger crank pulley built. Probably go from stock 6 inch to maybe a 7.5. Good luck on your install project too.
Damon.

Yes, this project started off with the EE M90 kit. That got maxed out at 10 lbs of boost and about a 17,000 rpm blower speed. I then added torque monster headers, gt40 aluminum heads, a comp cams blower cam, and snow performance methanol injection system. It made about 275 RWHP. When I am able to make 12-14 lbs of boost with the M112 I should be at 400-450 HP at the tires. The truck is a 4X2 with a 4R70W auto trans and 410 rear gears. I have converted it to a Hurst racheting floor shifter.

You might want to consider a water injection system. I had a Kenne Bell Blowzilla/Flowzilla combo on my Mustang with a water/alcohol injection system on it. Some of my other gear head buddies had centrifugal blowers on theirs with the same injection system. We did dyno runs using straight alcohol, water and a mix of both. The straight water made the most power. It takes very little water to cool the air from the blower substantially. IMO, the power increase came from the greater cooling effects of the water only and gasoline has a greater specific energy than alcohol. Whatever caused the power increase it was consistent across different types of blowers. The other benefit is I had to fill the bottle far less often using straight water and water is cheap and plentiful. Just make sure your pump is water compatible if you do it. This also made tuning a little easier because only one type of fuel is used.

I was using the snow performance kit which calls for a 50/50 mix of methanol and water when I was running 10 lbs of boost on the Eaton M90 and it was definetely necessary to control detonation on CA 91 octane fuel. Now on the M112 since it is only making 5lbs of boost I temporarily disconnected it. When I make more boost from the M112 I will reconnect it. Let me get this strait you are saying I can make more power by just using water instead of the 50/50 mix of water methanol? If the pump is compatible with just water?

Looks great. I assume you plan to get a cowl hood, or hood scoop?

I am adding a hood scoop soon and will post a pic when installed.

thats awsome...what pulley is that a 2.80?? you should get the eaton ported and run a bigger crank pulley...17-20lbs of boost would be sick

this idea has crossed my mind several times. there's a guy on corral.net that sells the adapter to mate the lower to the eaton and a snout extension to line everything up w/ the stock pulleys. should pull like a freight train, or at least a trolley compared to stock. and I was just excited to do my HO cam and 1.7 rockers.

I was using the snow performance kit which calls for a 50/50 mix of methanol and water when I was running 10 lbs of boost on the Eaton M90 and it was definetely necessary to control detonation on CA 91 octane fuel. Now on the M112 since it is only making 5lbs of boost I temporarily disconnected it. When I make more boost from the M112 I will reconnect it. Let me get this strait you are saying I can make more power by just using water instead of the 50/50 mix of water methanol? If the pump is compatible with just water?

Water only made more power on our blown Mustangs. I am not an experienced engine designer or chemist but there can only be so many reasons for the power increase on the cars. One is water will absorb a lot more heat vaporizing than alcohol so it might make for a cooler charge and take up less space in the combustion chamber than a water/alcohol mix. Since the blower is shoving the same amount of air, or maybe slightly more, into the cylinders the extra fuel needed to keep the A/F right will make more power than alcohol due to its higher specific energy. Using water may have made the tune more consistent by keeping the control of metering the fuel in the hands of the tuner. When spraying alcohol that isn't factored into the computer's engine adjustments, based on sensor inputs, it may make the tune more hit and miss function. Or it could be a combination of all these factors. The fact water made more power on four different blown cars was too much to be coincidence. The power difference was around 5-6%.

The key is to make sure the pump is water compatible. We all had to swap out our pumps in a few months because they were rusting pretty bad.

Also, it was critical for us to use a smaller nozzle. The one we used for water/alcohol or straight alcohol was too large and would bog the engine. I am not familiar with the Snow kits. They weren't available at the time. We used an SMC kit that the turbo Buick guys used and modified it for our cars. SMC eventually sold a kit that was capable os increasing the spray pressure as boost pressure and/or RPMs increased. The volume of air flow determines the amount of liquid needed to cool the air and air flow volume changes greatly with RPM. Without this adjustment ability you need to pick what RPM range you sprayed for and it could cause the engine to bog off the line because too much water and/or alcohol was sprayed at lower RPMs.

IMO, I think the power increase came from the higher specific energy of gasoline compared to alcohol and the tuning was more precise since only finely metered fuel was used and the computer knew exactly how much fuel entered the combustion chamber.

i never liked the snow kit...why not just go get a good tune and you wouldnt have to worry about detonation??

i never liked the snow kit...why not just go get a good tune and you wouldnt have to worry about detonation??

On a supercharged car a good tune may not be good enough. Superchargers heat the air entering the engine substantially and this, in turn, can cause detonation which can destroy a motor before you can lift your foot off the throttle. To dissipate this heat there are basically two options. One is an intercooler and the second option is to use a liquid changing to a vapor to cool the air. This process absorbs a lot of heat. Using a vaporizing liquid can actually cool the intake air to below ambient temperature. This method is also easier to install than many intercoolers. Water and/or alcohol injection allows more power to be made or it adds a nice safety factor against heat which is always a concern on forced induction engines.

this idea has crossed my mind several times. there's a guy on corral.net that sells the adapter to mate the lower to the eaton and a snout extension to line everything up w/ the stock pulleys. should pull like a freight train, or at least a trolley compared to stock. and I was just excited to do my HO cam and 1.7 rockers.

Same person made this adapter

On a supercharged car a good tune may not be good enough. Superchargers heat the air entering the engine substantially and this, in turn, can cause detonation which can destroy a motor before you can lift your foot off the throttle. To dissipate this heat there are basically two options. One is an intercooler and the second option is to use a liquid changing to a vapor to cool the air. This process absorbs a lot of heat. Using a vaporizing liquid can actually cool the intake air to below ambient temperature. This method is also easier to install than many intercoolers. Water and/or alcohol injection allows more power to be made or it adds a nice safety factor against heat which is always a concern on forced induction engines.

i know supercharged cars.. i had a 660hp 03 cobra with no snow kit infact everyone i have ever know with a supercharged mustang has never had the snow kit....ohh i didnt read that you werent running a intercooler my bad....but i would still prefer a custom dyno tune over the snow kit any day..your from so-cal right?? you should check out swanson performance in torrance or R E T in downey...both shops really know how to tune mustangs
:thumbsup:

Your boost numbers might be a little lower than expected due to the TMH and free flowing exhaust.

On my Powerdyne with a 9# pulley, I lost about 3-4# of boost when I installed the TMH (Bob provided me a little bigger TMH due to a blown application) and a cat back exhaust..

I say lower boost, the gauge is lower, but pushing alot more volume thru the motor.....

FWIW

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i know supercharged cars.. i had a 660hp 03 cobra with no snow kit infact everyone i have ever know with a supercharged mustang has never had the snow kit....ohh i didnt read that you werent running a intercooler my bad....but i would still prefer a custom dyno tune over the snow kit any day..your from so-cal right?? you should check out swanson performance in torrance or R E T in downey...both shops really know how to tune mustangs
:thumbsup:

The Terminator Cobras had a good intercooler on them. If a Roots or twin screw didn't come with an intercooler option it is a real pain to fab one. The vapor coolers are very effective. One of my Mustang buddies running a NOVI blower had a temperature logging setup on his car. It would regularly register air temps after the blower at below ambient. Having a water and/or alcohol injection kit allows more aggressive tuning similar to having an intercooler and improves reliability a good amount. Heck, many people will use them in conjunction with their intercoolers to further add a safety factor and run a more aggressive tune. The turbo Buick guys love these spray kits.

Another great benefit with the spray kit is it will keep your valves, combustion chamber and intake tract squeaky clean. It will scourer carbon deposits which keeps the C/R consistent and air flow optimized.

Back