Ebay's billet grill...

punisher

Punisher
Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 4.0L SOHC
I just bought a billet grill from Ebay and wondered why they came with ties? Is there any way to install the grill without using the ties? And how the heck do you take off the grill? I read the Haynes Handbook but that didn't help. Do I need to take off the headlights, if so, how would I do that? Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the same one as you probably. They come with a few nylon ties. All i can say, is, it is a ***** to do by yourself. I guess you could mount it with screws, but the ties are the neatest, especially if your not taking it off. You don't have to take your headlights off. What I did was, if you open your hood, take off that front plastic part(the thing that you can flip up on the sides, to get access to changing your lights). This should let you get behind your factory grille. What I did was just run the nylon straps through the factory grille, and around those vertical parts(im being very vague here). Now the bottom is a pain, because one nylon strap will not reach, so what I did was attached two of them together, to make it longer. The instructions kinda sucked for this. You may be better off buying your own ties, maybe some longer ones, you can always cut the ends off. Also have someone hold the grille, I held it, and put the straps on at the same time, and it was a pain in the ass. Plus it was cold...If you have any questions, just ask. Good luck

I took my entire grill off to put it on. Took about 30 mins but wasnt that difficult. The headlights do not need to come off, but you do need to remove the parking lights. Two scres hold each one of the lights on. Plus there are 4 screws on top that need to be removed. Finally there is one other screw (if I remember right) behing each of the parking lights that needs to be removed. After that you just have to pull hard to get the grille out because there are clips that hodl it still. Hope this helps.

I removes all the screws and the parking lights. I cant unhook the clips. Do you just pull real hard, or is ther some trick? And did you still use the black ties?

Are you all happy with the billet grill? How do you get the hood open now and did the grill come with a Ford logo?

I just installed the grill. It is just an insert with some black ties. I took a dremel tool and cut off basically the whole plastic stock grill (except for 1-2 inch stubs). Then I drilled 2 holes in each of the plastic stubs. Then use the ties to secure the grill. I don't know what u mean by openeing the hood. And it did not come w/ a ford logo. It took me about 1 hour to install and looks pretty darn good for $55.

Im installing a speed grille in mine and had to change to a 98+ hood latch so I could open my hood. I am not sure how the 97's are... if the hood latch is like my 96 or like my dads 98???
anyways- cant wait to get it in!

I recently got "the ebay billet grill" and I have had it installed for about 2 weeks. I intially was really happy with it, but now I'm not. I'm gonna sell it on eBay and try to get most of my money back.

Takin off the grille assembly takes all of 10 minutes as described above. IMHO its better to take it off and not have to fish ties and stuff around.

My clips werent too bad, i pushed on the metal one on each side with a flat blade screw driver and pulled down and out and it pulled right out.

I did the same thing as Diablo. Its pretty painless except getting the freakin emblem off. That was the hardest part. I also went and painted the stock grill flat black so that it would not show underneath the billet grill. That took all of ten minutes and $3 thanks to walmart. I really liked the grill and I still like it better than stock. But I too will be getting rid of mine. I want a speed grill like the one on Alphasylum's X. Hope she wont mind. The ebay grill is definately a nice $55 investment.
I just noticed how old this thread is. Bet I didnt help.

Hey PurPony:
I have a 98 I just put the Speed Grille on
I want a lower bumper insert but there isnt one for my year specifically. Someone said you got one to fit yours, which one did you use and how? Thanks man

Back