• Register Today It's free!

ECM options 2000 model

bigblockford

Reaction score
City, State
cape breton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0 ford explorer
I have a 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 I'm wondering what ECM can I use in this model would the one from a 96-97 pre pats work in this model without having to have it programmed , the dealer is no option for me, I lost my keys and I'm dealing with the pats issue, if I can find an ECM pre pats will it work for me or what ecm can be used to run this vehicle I just want to get it up and running again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think you can use a 96-97 PCM in a 2000. it might not even plug in. even another 2000 PCM might not work unless it's pretty close to the same build date. auto manufactures make changes at any time during the production year and that might adversely effect the compatibility.

if you want to get this vehicle back on the road (w/out swapping the PCM to one with matching RF keys) you may have to bite the bullet and take it to a dealership to get it reprogrammed. costly option, but you gambled by only having a single key. if you feel this is worth doing, make sure you get 2 keys made and then you can make at least one more yourself. the keys are cheap on eBay.

The best option for me I think would be to find a doner with ecm and keys to match if possible, the 5.0 vary hard to find In my province . if I knew the ecm from a pre pats will work i can just order one online .

you wont be able to use a pre pats for anther reason. 98 and under (98 had pats, but i am just giving you an example) had a return fuel system in it, 99 and up didnt. so your computer will be messed up with the fuel system as well. your either going to have to get like you said, a doner with ecm, keys, and the pats module in it, or get yours reprogrammed. or see if pedstang has some available

I do know where I can get a computer and a key to match for my 2000 model but they have not got the Pats module available so can anybody else verify that just the computer and the key would work or must I have the module to go with it Thanks

Back