Ecoboost Test Drive Impressions | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ecoboost Test Drive Impressions

Funny I was all ready to jump on the just adequate comments and the less than stunning acceleration then as I read the post I saw that you were talking about the 4 cyl.

Try the Ecoboost Six. Those comments will go away!

I'm not quite prepared to drop that kind of coin on the sport edition to get the eco6.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not at all. If you don't drive it like you stole it. I just traded in an Ecoboost Flex and we managed 24 highway mpg with six adults on board A/c running and driving 75 mph. That 24 MPG was a regular occur acne on road trips and improved to 26 when we had less weight and weren't running the A/C constantly.

The V6 in the Explorer is plenty adequate but had I known the Ecoboost was on the way I would have waited to place my order.

I was basing that joking comment on the fact that it is only rated for 22mpg highway and how a number of Ex owners are struggling to achieve EPA ratings on their own vehicles.

The Gray Ghost is about to finish its first week of regular duty hauling my wife back and forth to work. It was able to make a week's worth of commutes on a single tank of gas, and that is exactly what my wife wanted, so she is happy. Trip computer is reporting 22.1mpg right now, with a fill-up coming this afternoon. If that holds true, not bad for a near downtown commute in Houston traffic

I was basing that joking comment on the fact that it is only rated for 22mpg highway and how a number of Ex owners are struggling to achieve EPA ratings on their own vehicles.

The Gray Ghost is about to finish its first week of regular duty hauling my wife back and forth to work. It was able to make a week's worth of commutes on a single tank of gas, and that is exactly what my wife wanted, so she is happy. Trip computer is reporting 22.1mpg right now, with a fill-up coming this afternoon. If that holds true, not bad for a near downtown commute in Houston traffic

Is yours FWD or 4WD?

^ It is FWD

Maybe this is not the right thread to ask, but yesterday I finally found a 2013 with the right specs for what I want - however, I noticed that the sticker showed 24/17 instead of the 25/18 I was expecting for the V6. My first thought was that maybe it had 20" wheels, but according to the sticker, it does not. Is 24/17 the standard V6 fuel economy for 2013's? I thought it was 25/18 for the 2012's?

Thanks!

Yes, the mileage has changed. The difference is due to the final drive ratio being changed to enhance driveability on the highway. I believe Cory was the one to pass that info along when the question was originally asked in another thread.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Not at all. If you don't drive it like you stole it...
Drive like you own it, Shomare! :D

Maybe this is not the right thread to ask, but yesterday I finally found a 2013 with the right specs for what I want - however, I noticed that the sticker showed 24/17 instead of the 25/18 I was expecting for the V6...
Yes, the mileage has changed. The difference is due to the final drive ratio being changed to enhance driveability on the highway. I believe Cory was the one to pass that info along when the question was originally asked in another thread...
MizzouMan_2000 & VinceL,

That’s correct; the change was to make the performance feel better at highway speeds. :)

Cory

Drive like you own it, Shomare! :D

MizzouMan_2000 & VinceL,

That’s correct; the change was to make the performance feel better at highway speeds. :)

Cory

So I thought I saw a window sticker for a 2013 with 20" wheels and I thought it had the same fuel economy numbers as the 2013 with standard 18" wheels. Is that possible with the new setup? I didn't think so, but wanted to check.

Thanks!

So I thought I saw a window sticker for a 2013 with 20" wheels and I thought it had the same fuel economy numbers as the 2013 with standard 18" wheels. Is that possible with the new setup?...
MizzouMan_2000,

The wheel size might make it a little less, but not enough to change the ratings on the window sticker.

Cory

MizzouMan_2000,

The wheel size might make it a little less, but not enough to change the ratings on the window sticker.

Cory

Thanks for the info. I thought I saw a comment somewhere else that you'd see 1 less MPG for 1" larger wheel size? Maybe I'm imagining things... possible ever since I've started having to work 3rd shift...

MizzouMan_2000,

You’re welcome; maybe it’s time to take some vacation? ;)

Cory

Unfortunately, due to the situation which is causing me to work 3rd shift, vacation is not an option... Ugh. Luckily I do get the entire Memorial Day weekend off... which is good since I have tickets to see Red Hot Chili Peppers in St. Louis on Friday night. :D :chug:

Back