First Impressions

rman66

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle,Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer LTD 4WD
Hi all,
I am a new member and owner of a 2014 Explorer Limited 4WD w/t 302A package and bucket seats, center console, tow package and center console, polished 20" wheels and adaptive cruise/collision assist. Ford sweetened the deal by sending me that private coupon which i applied on top of the existing rebate which made it easier on the wallet.

This is the first time I am owning an SUV (if we can call the Explorer that). My last car was from the 2006 model year so I am blown away by all the improvements on my explorer, still reeling from it into day #3 and still getting used to it, so far loving it and ecstatic about it. What a smooth ride and the isolation from the road by those massive 20inch wheels and chassis is impressive. The color is darkside and I like it a lot, that dark green hint that shimmers in light with tiny crystals of glass embedded in it. I find this very unique..

A concern I have is that the gas mileage, it is showing as 13mpg average. Also, yesterday I was trying the adaptive cruise and it failed to stop when the vehicle in front of me stopped. But it did slow down enough but kept going at it until the red LED lights started flashing, I had to slam the brakes 10feet away from the car that stopped in front of me. I will test this again later.

My wife complained why i spent that much on a new car and once she sat in it and I test drove for a little with her, all her complaints evaporated. My 2 kids are loving their private space in those bucket seats but fighting over who gets to use the center console.

Today I was at a drive through at Starbucks.. in front of me was a White 2014 Ford Explorer limited.. as I drove up to the drive through window, the barista handed me my drink and said that driver lady (ahem! :)) in the Explorer in front of me paid for it.. I am thinking its got to be the Explorer :). But I felt good about it.

So this gives me an idea, lets pay it forward. How about all of us Drivers of the Ford Explorer, if we find another Explorer behind us in the drive through at Starbucks or any other Coffee shop, Lets pick up the tab. Shall we?

-Rman

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all,
I am a new member and owner of a 2014 Explorer Limited 4WD w/t 302A package and bucket seats, center console, tow package and center console, polished 20" wheels and adaptive cruise/collision assist. Ford sweetened the deal by sending me that private coupon which i applied on top of the existing rebate which made it easier on the wallet.

This is the first time I am owning an SUV (if we can call the Explorer that). My last car was from the 2006 model year so I am blown away by all the improvements on my explorer, still reeling from it into day #3 and still getting used to it, so far loving it and ecstatic about it. What a smooth ride and the isolation from the road by those massive 20inch wheels and chassis is impressive. The color is darkside and I like it a lot, that dark green hint that shimmers in light with tiny crystals of glass embedded in it. I find this very unique..

A concern I have is that the gas mileage, it is showing as 13mpg average. Also, yesterday I was trying the adaptive cruise and it failed to stop when the vehicle in front of me stopped. But it did slow down enough but kept going at it until the red LED lights started flashing, I had to slam the brakes 10feet away from the car that stopped in front of me. I will test this again later.

My wife complained why i spent that much on a new car and once she sat in it and I test drove for a little with her, all her complaints evaporated. My 2 kids are loving their private space in those bucket seats but fighting over who gets to use the center console.

Today I was at a drive through at Starbucks.. in front of me was a White 2014 Ford Explorer limited.. as I drove up to the drive through window, the barista handed me my drink and said that driver lady (ahem! :)) in the Explorer in front of me paid for it.. I am thinking its got to be the Explorer :). But I felt good about it.

So this gives me an idea, lets pay it forward. How about all of us Drivers of the Ford Explorer, if we find another Explorer behind us in the drive through at Starbucks or any other Coffee shop, Lets pick up the tab. Shall we?

-Rman
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) will only slow the vehicle down. It will not bring it to a stop. The ACC will disengage at 16mph. Both the ACC and the Collision Alert systems require driver intervention to apply the brakes if that is needed in order to bring it to a full stop.

Peter

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) will only slow the vehicle down. It will not bring it to a stop. The ACC will disengage at 16mph. Both the ACC and the Collision Alert systems require driver intervention to apply the brakes if that is needed in order to bring it to a full stop.

Peter

Thank you, then the ACC is working as specified I guess.
A concern is the lane departure warning is not working at all for me.. nothing happens while I straddle lanes.. I have tried this several times

A concern is the lane departure warning is not working at all for me.. nothing happens while I straddle lanes.. I have tried this several times
That feature wasn't available in the 2011 Explorer. When testing, make sure you don't have a police car behind you if you're straddling lanes.;):thumbsup:
I believe the sensor is in the rearview mirror so be careful that you don't put anything there to cover it up. According to the Owner's Guide, it works above 40mph.

Peter

Did you go into the left menu and turn it on? That feature defaults to off every time you start the Ex.

Did you read this section of your manual, specially the one where it mentions using the stalk to turn / off the system quickly?

olec.png

Thank you I didnt know about the stalk.. Its working when I turn it on using that button on the stalk. I like it as it sends a vibration into my steering wheel and into my hands and even applies a gentle torque to get the vehicle back into the lane.. impressive!

with all these electronics in the new Explorer, I am inclined to purchase that ESP extended warranty as things can fall apart over time.. Having a hard time estimating my usage though because I have no idea 7 years from now how many miles I would have on the explorer. An accurate estimation can save me $ so I dont buy ESP in excess of what I need. So, to buy or not to buy ESP?. The dealer offered it to me but I declined knowing I can get better quotes when its open for competition and I was right. Online, I could save about 35%. I am considering buying from ZeiglerFord, http://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/process/plans.aspx?type=primary
If there is better pricing for ESP, please let me know.

Thank you I didnt know about the stalk.. Its working when I turn it on using that button on the stalk. I like it as it sends a vibration into my steering wheel and into my hands and even applies a gentle torque to get the vehicle back into the lane.. impressive!

I'm not trying to be sarcastic but you should really review the manual as it offers a lot of tips / tricks.

If you're more into e-reading, you can get all your manuals for FREE from Ford here -> http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&year=2014&make=Ford&model=Explorer

I have all my manuals saved my computers as PDF files (Adobe Acrobat Reader) since it allows easy searching / indexing / quick reference.

As R1chard said, please read the manual. No one is trying to come off sounding rude but everything you had an "issue" with is working as it is supposed to.

Also, use the search function on here, you can learn a lot just by searching and reading up on threads here (There are a few ESP threads as well). Just about anything you may have a question on has already been posted and discussed.

Don't judge your gas mileage yet. You are still well within the engine break in period. As has been reported in other forum topics, you will have more realistic numbers after the first 2000 to 3000 miles. I believe the manual also talks about how to correctly calculate gas mileage.

Back