2012 Ford Explorer Limited - First Impressions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Ford Explorer Limited - First Impressions

calb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 AWD Explorer Limited
Well my Explorer finally arrived so I've put about 50Km on her so far.

She is tri-white, Limited, with 302A package, towing, navigation and pecan seats. I say "she" as my 5 year old daughter wanted to know who was talking and I told her Samantha - right Rebecca? :)

First impressions:

1) Checked her out. I'd guess that the back door was off centre by a couple millimeters. Not enough that anyone would notice unless they were actually looking to measure that. Driver and passenger doors were perfectly aligned. Everything else was exactly as it should be. Pecan interior (as others have mentioned) is great)

2) Lot to learn (as others have commented on). Got in the car initially and just sat there looking and first thought was ... so how do I just put her in ACC mode to get things lit up with push button :)

3) Dealer didn't spend a lot of time showing me things (I didn't really want them to as I wasn't feeling great and jsut wanted to get home to sleep). However I paired the phone immediately (Blackberry 9900 btw) and text also immediately came up!

4) A lot of initial oomph when starting - in fact it was surprising when I first started driving. For a relatively heavy vehicle, she can move;

5) Figured I'd try out voice commands (without having read the manual!) and guess what ..... I got her to navigate to my home - first time - only mistake was saying a number rather than digits. The voice commands seem to very slick and logically thought out. I've used it several times since and was very pleased. Mind you I'm in a large city (Toronto) so I'd expect the mapping to work there.

6) Called my wife to tell her I was on the way to pick her and my daughter up from the park. It had imported my phonebook no problem and again I used the voice commands without instruction. Just worked!

7) On the way home I checked out BLIS (even my wife commented on how well that work) and for all the comments about Blind spots I don't find them that bad at all (even without BLIS) but that might be due to experience with a little sports car and having to learn to use/set mirrors.

8) On way home my wife texted me to tell me my daughter had an accident and were heading home. Text was read out to me - Neat! Although I got the jist of the message, Samanthat didn't pronounce the word "pooped" real well :) I can live with that ;)

6) Have used navigation subsequently - worked brilliantly (again, large city). Put a bunch of our music CDs in Artist/Album/Song order on USB stick and again, without training, I was able to say "USB" then "Play Artist Seal" and away we went :) I had to work a little harder when I wanted a specific album though. Sirius was working too (I think its a free week so we are playing with that),

7) Tried to use Collision Warning without actually hitting someone - no luck yet. Hmm ... don't really want to try that hard, do I? :) Did however use the auto parking. I REALLY like that it can find a spot that fits you (at least now, while I'm still getting used to her size). Kind of freaky having her steer but it does work :) Hasn't rained yet, but should tomorrow and I'll see how wipers work, and adaptive cruise control as we are taking a short highway trip.

8) The MFT screen confused us a bit. Had the 5 year old go into meltdown when I wouldn't change the interior lighting colour to purple (I'd managed to find how to change colours the day before) - finally figured it out again when I got home - I'm tired of purple anyway ;)

9) I really like the automatic opening/closing hatch. I didn't think I would, as much as I do.

10) Others have commented about rear interior lighting and seeing power seat buttons. I didn't find that to be an issue (maybe they had a different model) and found lighting in the back fine.

11) Came with cargo net which was an unexpected bonus.

12) Small niggles (perhaps I need to do setup). Lights seem to stay on a long time after I leave vehicle. I thought with the IA key it might auto-lock on leaving, but it doesn't seem to. When I park to let my wife out and she opens the back door to get my daughter she can't open the door unless I hit unlock first? Kiddie lock feature perhaps - took me a while to figure that might be what that extra key was for? Drivers area felt a little small at first (I'm 6'2") but then I put peddles down and (subject to further adjustment) actually moved the seat in a bit. I accidentally through her into manual - little too easy to do - they should have put a separate shift gate in, instead of that little button.

I'd like to thank the people on this forum and Ford reps Cory and Rebecca for the many useful posts that guided us in the purchase.

By the way, for anyone in Ontario, I HIGHLY recommend Rahul at Yonge Steeles Ford in Thornhill for price. He is part of the family that owns the dealiership, I did a lot of price research and Rahul didn't play games and cut to the chase on price. YMMV but I had a done deal in less than 10 minutes and it only took that long due to trade-ins. Tell him Calb recommended you and you want the same deal ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations

Congrats, now comes the hard part deciding which accessories you really need right now.

I would suggest at least the all weather Husky or WeatherTec rubber mats. Both are great, again its personal preference, but the Husky mats covers more carpet then the WeatherTech. I think when you have kids in your Ex these mats are a must.

The Husky Group Buy price is too good to pass up, thanks to Blwnsmoke.

The other critical option is the OEM rear bumper protector that covers the top surface of the bumper when you pull things out of the rear tailgate.

Congrats,

Sync ladys name is infact Samantha.

Thanks K1200rsport!

St1411 - not too hard with respect to mats. Had researched before so waiting for Weahtertech to come in (couldn't conveniently find Husky in Canada, and custom's clearance/delivery is a pain if I order from US). Should be here in a couple of days.

Have to get the molded mudflaps and winter tires now. Hadn't looked at the bumper protection yet.

Looking at claying and 3M sealant and then was so she has a good winter.

Yeap GWA1 - Samantha is what Rebecca said :)

congratz
having a base model is much easier to learn
traded our 06 lincoln mark lt and do miss a few things like heated seats
but not a big fan of techy stuff and we trade every couple of years so i feel i get a better return on expenditure if i stick with base models . regardless of which model it is a smooth peppy ride
brianj

Congrats. I find the two options I like the most is the Blind spot, and the remote start. We had a few cold days here and I really like going from my house to a warm car. I think the 2012's got the door panels right. My passenger and driver side were both good too.

Bumper Cover

Agreed on the mats and bumper cover. I just put the cover on a few minutes ago after ordering it by mail.

Congrats, now comes the hard part deciding which accessories you really need right now.

I would suggest at least the all weather Husky or WeatherTec rubber mats. Both are great, again its personal preference, but the Husky mats covers more carpet then the WeatherTech. I think when you have kids in your Ex these mats are a must.

The Husky Group Buy price is too good to pass up, thanks to Blwnsmoke.

The other critical option is the OEM rear bumper protector that covers the top surface of the bumper when you pull things out of the rear tailgate.

What was the offer on Winter Tire/Wheel package you got from your dealer?

Hi Calb. Congrats on your new ride. I have been dealing with this dealer now for the last 7 years or so , they are generally speaking very good people to deal and work with . I deal with Paul Carlucci, who is the head sales manager there, I get a straight price from him off the top always , and he shows me his work etc. He will also get me out off my cars early when if I ask him to with little to no loss, as he has before. When you need servise go see Ivan Christofoli, he has been there since it was Northtown ford, he is a great guy ,and if something is not right he will look into it.

Okay - a few more impressions. Took her on the highway in a rainstorm.

Mileage seems to be around 10.5 litres per 100Km or about 22.5 MPG which seems reasonable for a heavier 4wd. Like the autowipers but there was some confusion in the dark of the highway as to how to move to full wiping.

Love the adaptable cruise control but it was a bit scary the first time I put it on :)

I still haven't gotten the collision avoidance system to light up even though I have it on the most sensitive level, and I am not sure I want to get much closer to others on a highway - guess I'll just have to just trust it is there.

Ride was nice; quiet and smooth. Phone worked well, no background noise.

Anyone who we've shown the car to loves it, and you never manage to show them all the features.

Okay .... so when are they signing me up for a Ford Commercial? ;)

Congratulations Calb. I am too enjoying every minute driving it. Kind of disappointed with milage though. I am getting 17 L/100km as an average. Which is high compared to my old Murano.

The top of my bumper is destroyed within 4 months of owning the car. My bumper cover is sitting in my garage, just dont seem to have time to put it on.

Congratulations Calb. I am too enjoying every minute driving it. Kind of disappointed with milage though. I am getting 17 L/100km as an average. Which is high compared to my old Murano.

Based on the highway trip, the explorer which weighs a ton more and has 4wd, is only 20% more gas than my previous ride.

While gas counts, it isn't that major for the miles I do.

Pics please, sounds like a nice looking rig.

btw, what's previous ride?

Pics please, sounds like a nice looking rig.

btw, what's previous ride?

I'd feel bad taking pics right now. When I got her she looked like the tri-white catalog pics, but with the rain and dealer not having mudflaps .... she doesn't look as pretty at the moment. I'll see what I can do next weekend though!

Previous rides were a Malibu Maxx and a Hyundai Tiburon, both 6cyl. I was comparing mileage with the Malibu Maxx ... as I said it got better mileage, but not that much better. Got rid of them both for Ex. Living in city doesn't justify 2 cars anymore.

The top of my bumper is destroyed within 4 months of owning the car. My bumper cover is sitting in my garage, just dont seem to have time to put it on.
it is a less than 5 minute job i put mine on the third day i had it,
brianj

Congrats Calb, great review, I have about 3 k on the ex, still waiting for mpg to rise past 18.5' no long trips yet. Time for the add ons, the nerf bars, mats, bumper protector, and led conversion topped my ex. Enjoy:D

...I'd like to thank the people on this forum and Ford reps Cory and Rebecca for the many useful posts that guided us in the purchase...
You got it, calb! :) Congratulations and great write-up! I believe pics were requested? :D

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures ... finally

Sorry for the delay. The requested pictures are here.

I've just finally got the dealer paper mats off the floor as the Weathertech's arrived, and finished having her clayed and 3M coated. Bra goes on later this week - he is 3M dealer but advised against 3M product given the white colour and yellowing of 3M film, and is putting something else on instead. I'll trust his judgement as he worked for Ferrari before setting up his own business.

Weathertech mats fit nice, but as someone commented on here Husky covers more area. I would have gone for the Husky's but were hard to get hold of here in Canada.

People asked about the block heater, and it covers more area than I thought. Not sure where the plug comes out the front?

Got the molded mud flaps and they are a good buy, as others have commented. Snow tires went on ... nice to have but they sure uglify a car :)

Over the past few weeks I have some additional observations. I'm fairly tall (little over 6'2) and am pleased to say that I don't have to pull the seat all the way back. I have it set for a little higher, pedals down, and it's great, so for those worried about fit, I'd try adjusting those first.

Fit and finish isn't what as good as I'd like, for instance driver door is out-dented slightly and passenger door indented slightly from alignment with dash. (maybe that extra bolt I found?) :) Overall fit and finish is generally good, but needs work.

I find the driver's side of the bench seat VERY difficult to open up for access to the 3rd row. Anyone else notice this?

Sync voice has generally been very good. Did hit one issue yesterday where Samantha didn't understand "Destination" which was surprising since I've used the same word many times (from the very start) with no issues. Txt messaging has worked great (Blackberry 9900), although again yesterday she didn't notice txts that were received. Expectations are now so high based on past performance, my wife was a little concerned.

Everyone likes the pecan interior, and many were surprised it is available.

As a last comment my insurance rates dropped below those for my 6 year old Malibu Maxx - must be the safety features. So for those thinking of a purchase, you might save a few hundred a year that you weren't expecting.

What I would have changed? Heated steering wheel, folding mirrors automatically returning to normal state when starting car, better fit and finish (doors in particular), improved MFT interface, front parking sensor (nice to have, and I think the equipment is already there for it?), improved voice menus (how many times now have I given a street address instead of saying "street address" - I'll learn ;) ) improved blind spot signalling (that yellow dot is hard to see if sun is in mirrors too), adjustable 2nd row seats, easier access to 3rd row seats (pushbutton for bench seats?), Sync Services in Canada.

Now I'm hoping we get lots of snow for Christmas so I can give her a real run in the snow!!!

Overall, quite happy - can't be beat feature set, for the price.

Back