ECT sensor/ Autozone scan says something else | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ECT sensor/ Autozone scan says something else

Stick_man

Reaction score
City, State
NYC, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer V6 SOHC
I've had an on/off check engine light for months now -- mostly off recently.

I just brought this thing in because it didn't start . . .

It turns out it was a fuel sensor. But while diagnosing they found an ECT sensor code which i'm guessing was in there from all the previous check engine activity.

For the longest, I thought my code was an o2 sensor/rich condition p0156. At least that's what it kept coming up as when I got a scan from autozone. Is the autozone scan thing BS? I think I want to do the ECT sensor myself. is this doable without a lift/where is the sensor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This chart is one of the links in # 25 in my list of useful threads:
41928895.gif

could it be the thermostat? Where is the needle supposed to be on the heat gauge?

Mine never points straight up. It's always about a 1/4 inch on the colder side if straight up is where it's supposed to be. Could that themostat be stuck open causing rich running condition? I don't know how to use the chart btw/don't know how to measure engine temp/hate using ohm meters/never seem to get accurate readings/don't ahve much experience with them.

I don't know the name of the fuel sensor/where it is/I can't remember; but the truck didn't have spark. I bet it's not related. They found both by checking codes

I'm pretty sure it's either the etc sensor or the thermostat. It seems to use up a lot of gas; i've noticed gas coming out of the pipe a lot; coolant seems to always be low. It has to be that thermo either leaking or stuck/not warming the car up enough and causing rich running. no? The temperature gauge never goes all the way to the middle.

Back