EF 3rd Annual Desert Expedition May 21-29 2013 Discussion | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EF 3rd Annual Desert Expedition May 21-29 2013 Discussion

I think the last 2 weeks of May will be the time to go. Starting May 21-ish.

We can include the Memorial Day holiday, saving a vacation day. (Or extending the trip a day...)

Everyone good with this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Desert Expedition...

Scott, that would be perfect for me, yes, count me in. Michael

Trip Dates

Dates have been selected!

We will convene in southern Nevada (somewhere around Las Vegas?) on Tuesday, May 21 for the start of the third annual Desert Expedition.

The expedition shall proceed north (and east and/or west) for next 9 days, ending somewhere in northern Nevada on Wednesday, May 29.

At this time, I don't think we will have a definite route. My thoughts are to have a list of ghost towns to visit in a general south to north order. By not having a strict schedule, we can spend as little or long time as we want at each stop, giving us maximum flexibility.

9 1/2 months to go...

..First post and title have been updated with the dates..

..For those others traveling into and out of the area for this trip, pinpointing the first day meetup location along with the last day departure location would be helpful in their planning and should be the next item decided on... ;)

Plenty of places to meet in or near Vegas...

Scott, is May 21 the start date or the meet date? IOW are we rolling North on the morning of the 21st (meaning we need to be in Vegas on the evening of the 20th) or are we meeting on the 21st and rolling North on the 22nd?

..I would hate to see it just left as that..:(

..Yes there are plenty of places to meet in or near Vegas..There is Laughlin, Boulder City, Pahrump, Mt Charleston while at the same time there are lots of places in Northern Nevada such as Reno, Yerrington, Winnemucca etc...

..If it is to be that we are going to meet in say Las Vegas and we are going to end somewhere like Bridgeport, it would be considerate to include this info for the rest whom are either making the investment to go on this trip or would like to join in on this trip..:D

Scott, is May 21 the start date or the meet date? IOW are we rolling North on the morning of the 21st (meaning we need to be in Vegas on the evening of the 20th) or are we meeting on the 21st and rolling North on the 22nd?

Martin,

The 21 is the start date - probably 9:00 in the morning, or so.

Ted - chill out! There are 9 1/2 months between now and the start. We will figure out a meeting place between now and then.

I said "around Las Vegas" so everyone would know we are starting in southern Nevada...

..I am chill...:D

...As per my post #64 my question is a legitimate one...As every year we know early on where we are starting and ending..

..I myself would like to do some other planning at the beginning and end of this trip to meet with family and friends since I will be in the area..

..But if you think if I'm out of line in asking perhaps I missed something..:dunno:

..I am chill...:D

...As per my post #64 my question is a legitimate one...As every year we know early on where we are starting and ending..

..I myself would like to do some other planning at the beginning and end of this trip to meet with family and friends since I will be in the area..

..But if you think if I'm out of line in asking perhaps I missed something..:dunno:

Why don't you suggest some places?

I haven't been keeping up with this thread. Now that I am here I looked up May 21, 2013 and see that it is on a Tuesday. I like that because it means not fighting Las Vegas weekend traffic whether I decide to come in a day ahead or just hit the road that morning.

This is good that the dates have been established. I can now put them on my calender and not commit to something else. I know it is still a long way off but I like to plan well ahead for this type of trip.

2013 expedition

It's all good for me.......... perhaps less dust than our other trips??? Still working on the dust intrusion in my topper, I think I have it solved..... we shall see :D Michael

I still have dust in my '93 from the Mojave trip...

I thought I would bring this thread back to the top.

It's about time to get serious about the plan.

I have a stack of books on ghost towns that I have been reading through. Whatever we do, 5 days won't be long enough to cover all the ghost towns in the state. I don't expect to see much civilization, either.

I know it's early for planning, but we have a idea for a meeting place - Cedar City, Utah.

That would allow us to avoid Las Vegas, and give us a straight shot to Tonopah, Nevada. I assume Cedar City will have a decent grocery store and reasonable gas prices.

For those coming from the East, it's not too hard to get to. For those coming from Cali, it's an hour or so of extra driving.

As I said, it is early for the planning, but I have started thinking about the details.

Any/all comments/suggestions/ideas welcome.

2013 trip....

Scott, Anyplace would be fine for me, "Merry Christmas" and safe and happy new year! Michael :thumbsup:

I've been following the plans for this trip for a while now and I'm fairly sure I will be coming along! But, I will probably meet up somewhere along the way, maybe Tonopah? I Live in NE Oregon and have explored all the way to the Nevada border, McDermitt on Hwy 95. My question is, how far North in Nevada will you be exploring?

Is this trip still a go?? I am interested and always wanted to go on a ghost town off road trip.

It was a go - last April.

I am planning a trip to include the Mojave Road and Death Valley at the end of September, if you are interested.

It was a go - last April.

I am planning a trip to include the Mojave Road and Death Valley at the end of September, if you are interested.

OH, S&*t, I was a year off..Missed it by that much.

September will be very hot out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually part of this years group is out there now and the other half I guess are going in September..

They post over on EP now..

..I might be availabe for a trip in early May this year...need to pay bills and work on trucks in April and I think I've overbooked my trips in July..:eek:

Back