• Register Today It's free!

EGR system (Code 332)

BigDave

Reaction score
City, State
River Forest, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
I have '94 XLT 4x4 with 85,000 miles on it.

I have had the check engine light on in my truck for the past 10 months, so I finally decided to change the egr vavle. I have a code grabber and it initially gave me code 332 and 558 and 556. Insufficient EGR flow, and something having to do with the vacuum solenoid that controls the valve. ( That is not the exact description, I don't have the book handy.) I have changed the egr valve, changed the plastic solenoid thing (black piece with two vacuum lines to it and a computer connection). I also replace the vacuum lines between the EGR sensor and the lines that run down into the engine compartment. This is kind of tough to describe. In any case... I cleared the engine codes to make sure that everything was set to original settings. THe problem is the check engiune light is back on and it is giving the code 332, or insufficient EGR flow. I am at my wits ends and don't know what to do next short of replacing the sensor, but I don't really want to do that because it costs about $130 from the dealer.

I would really, really appreciate any suggestions that any of you would have. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dave,
From what I can tell the EGR sensor is in the system before the EGR valve, which means that either exhaust flow isnt getting from the exhaust manifold to the sensor. From the looks of things there are two inputs into the EGR sensor (also called DPFE sensor) and I also see a metering orifice in the EGR tube. Or the second case is that the sensor might just be bad. I'll go play with mine and see if I can duplicate it.

Tim

Dave,
With the EGR Sensor complete disconnected I got a code 372 - EGR or DPFE circuit below minimum voltage which is expected. With the hose that plugs into the REF port of the EGR sensor unplugged it gave me a code 332 EGR - Insufficient EGR flow detected. With the other hose unplugged, the one that plugs into the lower part of the EGR tube I did not get a fault code from it, I might not have let it run long enough but I did drive it around. So we are back to 2 things, either the EGR tube is plugged at the metering orifice, (could be carbon) or the sensor is bad. Disconnect the REF hose from the EGR sensor and start the engine, you should be able to feel exhaust gas coming out of the hose. (BE CAREFUL IT'S HOT )Also when you bump the throttle you should hear sort of a whistling sound coming from the disconnected hose. If all that checks out then the sensor probably isn't sensing anymore. Hope this helps.

Tim

Tim,

I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas. I have a feeling that I will be shelling out for a new sensor. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Dave

I tried cleaning out the EGR sensor and the light still comes on with code 332. I guess that I will need to shell out $130 for a new sensor. Anyone know where I can get one cheap?

Dave

never buy sensors from the dealer. they are all made in the same place(by bosch and borg/warner). any auto parts store will have them. i use O'reiley

Back