EGR Tube connector?

shane10

Reaction score
City, State
MW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
4WD
Hi all, replacing the EGR tube, connector, and valve as mine was completely seized together and proceeded to strip everything on disassembly. Found the EGR tube and valve with no problems, but every site I check it seems as if the connector (tube to manifold) doesn't even exist for the 02-05 4.0 SOHC. Anyone come across this problem? I have a very early build 02', I had an issue with the exhaust manifold stud nuts, where I needed to order nuts from an 01' for some strange reason, wondering if this is the same problem.
I ended up ordering the connector from Ford, but am a bit worried it won't fit just as the stud nuts did not fit.
Just wondering why there are literally no aftermarket connectors for the 3rd gen 4.0's. Rockauto doesn't even give the option for one.
Any ideas? Thanks

Hi all, replacing the EGR tube, connector, and valve as mine was completely seized together and proceeded to strip everything on disassembly. Found the EGR tube and valve with no problems, but every site I check it seems as if the connector (tube to manifold) doesn't even exist for the 02-05 4.0 SOHC. Anyone come across this problem? I have a very early build 02', I had an issue with the exhaust manifold stud nuts, where I needed to order nuts from an 01' for some strange reason, wondering if this is the same problem.
I ended up ordering the connector from Ford, but am a bit worried it won't fit just as the stud nuts did not fit.
Just wondering why there are literally no aftermarket connectors for the 3rd gen 4.0's. Rockauto doesn't even give the option for one.
Any ideas? Thanks
I am goin through the same thing brother, I had a exhaust leak in my 02 exploder 4.0 SOHC VIN K, so I bought a decent pair of aftermarket headers. I managed to get the tube off of old manifold, wasn't easy I eventually sawed it off and proceeded to torch the remaining pice In side the tube threading to lava red hot beat on it with a hammer and chisel numerous times till it budged a Lil bit, got it hell hot again then ran it under tap water and it shrunk itself to cool enough that I could pry it out. Well, I go to reinstall the tube after cleaning it up , the damn thing is like 1/2" short of reaching and it seems like you said noone has a fitting to breach the stupid gap, seems every other yr model exploder has a adapter but the 02, not to mention that EGR tube I was gonna originally toss to the junk pile and buy a new one is around $120, Ofcourse all other yr models are $20- $60 WTH!!! SOo now I have been searching everywhere possible I can think of to buy the dumb little pice of pipeing and have come up empty handed. I gotta do something cause not only dose it suck gas down like it's dien of thirst but the damn thing sounds like a lawn mower 🤦🏻‍♂️ FML. LAST RESORT... 😬 I JUST PULLED UP TO THE HOME DEPOT 🤣 I'm seriously thinking about makeing a pice to fix this issue and patent it, I'd be rich! Smh 🤷🏻‍♂️

I am goin through the same thing brother, I had a exhaust leak in my 02 exploder 4.0 SOHC VIN K, so I bought a decent pair of aftermarket headers. I managed to get the tube off of old manifold, wasn't easy I eventually sawed it off and proceeded to torch the remaining pice In side the tube threading to lava red hot beat on it with a hammer and chisel numerous times till it budged a Lil bit, got it hell hot again then ran it under tap water and it shrunk itself to cool enough that I could pry it out. Well, I go to reinstall the tube after cleaning it up , the damn thing is like 1/2" short of reaching and it seems like you said noone has a fitting to breach the stupid gap, seems every other yr model exploder has a adapter but the 02, not to mention that EGR tube I was gonna originally toss to the junk pile and buy a new one is around $120, Ofcourse all other yr models are $20- $60 WTH!!! SOo now I have been searching everywhere possible I can think of to buy the dumb little pice of pipeing and have come up empty handed. I gotta do something cause not only dose it suck gas down like it's dien of thirst but the damn thing sounds like a lawn mower 🤦🏻‍♂️ FML. LAST RESORT... 😬 I JUST PULLED UP TO THE HOME DEPOT 🤣 I'm seriously thinking about makeing a pice to fix this issue and patent it, I'd be rich! Smh 🤷🏻‍♂️

what you can do is find a hydraulic shop call them up and ask if they can make you metal pipe. if they say yes get your pipe ready to come off the egr valve then take it over there with the truck. show them what your doing and they should be able to get you sorted. a hydraulic shop will have standard compression style unions as well as the ability to make you the flared connections on the end of a piece of pipe.

what you can do is find a hydraulic shop call them up and ask if they can make you metal pipe. if they say yes get your pipe ready to come off the egr valve then take it over there with the truck. show them what your doing and they should be able to get you sorted. a hydraulic shop will have standard compression style unions as well as the ability to make you the flared connections on the end of a piece of pipe.
This is exactly what I ended up doing when getting shorty headers for my Ranger. Had a whole new tube made for the EGR at a hydraulic shop.

I also did find a adapter for the tube to increase it a inch. It's a M22 male to female pressure washer adapter. Doesn't have the taper on the end, but it still fits on smoothly. Works on either end of the EGR tube.

Back