EGR tube @ manifold - Is that an adapter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR tube @ manifold - Is that an adapter?

97 EB Mike

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer
Continuing work on my friend's 94. Discovered a broken (in 2 places) EGR tube when removing the UIM to replace valve cover gaskets. It was broken off flush with the nut at the manifold, so after soaking it in PB I put a socket over the nut and twisted it off. I then put a socket over the second nut and was able to remove it, but it pulled all the threads off of the nut. Is this a matter of a simple adapter from the manifold to the new EGR tube, or have I opened a can of worms? What are the threads going into the manifold? Thanks in advance!

For future reference sake, here is what I have discovered:
On the new EGR tube, the male nut on the intake side is the same thread as the female nut on the exhaust manifold side. It is not pipe thread, and it is not any type of regular tube thread that I could find. My plan, unless someone has a better solution, is to make an adapter using the old male nut and a compression fitting. As best as I can tell, the female hole in the exhaust manifold is 1/2" NPT. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears.

If all else fails. I have a 1993 ford explorer upper intake manifold with EGR valve and tube. And I got the exhaust manifold. $50 plus whatever shipping is.

Back