• Register Today It's free!

EGR Valve Location?

92eddie

Reaction score
City, State
Newmarket. Ontario. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Bauer
Where is the EGR Valve located on a 92 4.0L? I've read my manual from cover to cover and not a mention of it. I'm getting codes from my scanner to have it checked and I would like to do it myself.

According to the diagram in Chilton's, the EGR valve is located on the the driver's side of the intake manifold behind/below the throttle body.

Test Procedures are as follows...

EGR System Vacuum Test
The EVR solenoid has a constant internal leak; this is normal. There may be a small vacuum signal, however, it should be less than 1.0 in Hg of vacuum

With engine idling at normal operating temp, detach vacuum supply hose from the EGR valve and install a vacuum gauge to the hose. The vacuum reading should be less than 1.0 in Hg. If the reading is higher than specified, the problem may lie with the EVR solenoid.

EVR Solenoid Test

1. Remove the EVR solenoid
2. Attempt to lightly blow air into the EVR solenoid.
a. If air blows thru, replace with new one
b. If air doesn't pass thru, continue
3. Apply battery voltage (12V) and a ground to the EVR solenoid electrical terminals. Attempt to blow air thru.
a. If air blows thru, replace solenoid
b. If air doesn't flow thru, it's OK

ERG Valve Function Test

1. Install a tachometer on the engine
2. Detach the wiring harness connector from the Idle Air Control (IAC) solenoid
3. Disconnect and plug the vacuum line from the EGR Valve
4. Start engine, apply parking brake, block wheels, and put tranny in neutral
5. Observe and note idle speed

*If the engine will not idle with the IAC disconnected, provide an air bypass by slightly opening the throttle, or creating an intake vacuum leak - do not exceed typical idle RPM

6. Using a hand-held vacuum pump, slowly apply 5-10 in Hg to the EGR valve nipple
a. If the idle speed drops more than 100 rpm with vacuum and returns to normal when vacuum is released, the EGR valve is OK
b. If the idle speed does not drop more than 100 rpm w/vacuum, and return w/o vacuum, inspect the EGR valve for blockage
clean if blockage is found. Replace EGR valve if no blockage is found, or cleaning does not remedy the malfunction.

Hope this helps

------------------
Don't Worry about things you can control...
Don't Worry about things you cannot control.

96 Eddie Bauer AWD V8

Two other cars that aren't Explorers

Back