• Register Today It's free!

EGR Valve opening not detected

rtatman

Reaction score
City, State
Chico, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I have a 93 XLT and recently my CEL has come on. I took it to a shop to have them read the code for me. They told me it was a code 332, EGR valve opening not detected. Since I'm currently away from a good supply of tools and space I decided to let them fix it. They wanted to replace the sensor that controls the EGR valve. They did tests and replaced that sensor and the light is on all the time now instead of sometimes like before the sensor was replaced. I was pretty mad at them because they charged me quite a bit for all this.

Since that time I have purchased some Gumout air intake and throttle body cleaner and a new EGR valve. The cleaner seemed to help the problem a little. The light comes on when I'm moving and goes off when I'm stopped. I bought the new EGR valve from the dealer and threw it on there today. The engine sounded a little like a lawn mower engine or something trying to stay running. There was also a rattling noise which sounded like it was coming from my new EGR valve.

Now I just have the old one back on there and the engine sounds fine, but the light still comes on when I drive. If anyone out there has any ideas for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Back