• Register Today It's free!

EGR excessive flow detected?!

1astrnt

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 EB V8
ok, I have had my truck since may last year. i have noticed on trips and while crusing that when decelerating or letting off that the engine will throw a code. this has happend about 4 times. today i finally got the codes read and it came up "EGR EXCESSIVE FLOW DETECTED" (P0402). my question is, does the 96 not have the internal egr system and is the egr located on the back-side of the intake mounted to or just under the 90 degree bend? and as for solving this do i need to replace or just clean the egr valve? any suggestions?

Ive replaced mine and the egr sensor thats attached to it . It wa stossing the same code . If you want the best deal on the EGR valve , call the guys (phone number on thier site) at fordpartsonline.com .
I got the EGR for my 96 there for like 68 bucks . Even autozone gets 100 for it . I bought the sensor from autozone after the EGR was shipped to me because I thought it would come with the valve but did not . You may want to ask for the EGR sensor while you are getting the valve . They also sold me a rear ABS sensor for $10.19 , thats 8 bucks cheaper than local :)
I bought 2 rear sensors , a cruise deceleration/brake kickout switch and the egr valve and it was like 117 shipped to my house .

i had the eaxact same thing hapen to my '96 last year and replaced swnsors and vavle, i think it cost like 300 - 400$ to have a mechanic replace it, but i live in canada so for you guys thats like $100

canada74, that fixed it right? no more probs?

Back