Eibach ProKit on 3rd Gen Explorer (2004) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Eibach ProKit on 3rd Gen Explorer (2004)

mj1045

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
I am new to the Forum, so please take it easy on me. :) I am looking for any experience users here have with installing an Eibach (lowering) ProKit on a 3rd Gen Explorer. I had the kit installed on my 2004 Explorer Limited by my personal mechanic and the net result was a lowering of 1.75 inches in the front and only .5 inch in the rear. Has anyone here had a similar problem? If so what did you do to correct it? Also any pics of lowered 3rd Gen Explorers with the Eibach kit would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
MJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am new to the Forum, so please take it easy on me. :) I am looking for any experience users here have with installing an Eibach (lowering) ProKit on a 3rd Gen Explorer. I had the kit installed on my 2004 Explorer Limited by my personal mechanic and the net result was a lowering of 1.75 inches in the front and only .5 inch in the rear. Has anyone here had a similar problem? If so what did you do to correct it? Also any pics of lowered 3rd Gen Explorers with the Eibach kit would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
MJ

I have also been looking at lowering mine, and was told that the max you could lower it was 30-40 mm. If you go any lower, there are problems with the springs unseating themselves and coming loose when the suspension is at full extension/travel.

So, given that the gap from top of tyre to bottom of guard lip is 120mm, approx, I couldn't see the point of reducing that by 30mm or so. I want to reduce it by 90mm (approx 3.5"), not 30!

So I have decided to leave mine as is for the moment - at least until I can find some info on forums like this as to how people have lowered their trucks by more than 2".

I've had Beltech springs on my '04 for about a year and a half now. They've settled a bit since they first went on. I also have a very heavy box in the back and several heavy amps and whatnot. It sits a good 3" below stock all the way around. I have just a hair under 2" of gap between the top of my tires and the fender lip (with 285/35/22s). It looks awesome, imo. Rides pretty harsh. I have a ton of negative camber and it eats up tires. The available camber kits only help so much. Nobody makes a shock specifically for this application. It's not really bouncy like some people have experienced with the GF springs. If I hit a big pothole going too fast the top of the rear tires will "kiss" the fender lip. I just do everything I can to avoid that, lol. I have no issues with the springs becoming unseated. In fact, the springs out of the box were about the same height as stock, just with more give so they compress more under the weight of the truck. Despite the issues, I wouldn't raise it back up for anything. I'll see if I can post up some pics when I get home.

Welcome!

Thanks!!
MJ

Welcome! :D I hope both you guys can put up pics, it'll be nice to see more(?) 3rd gens dropped... MJ, this isn't a mean forum... it's aaall good! No ALL CAPS type stuff, it's pretty nice!

The X is filthy right now, but here's a quick shot...
2guzkmc.jpg

At an angle...
f2koit.jpg

I guess it's closer to 1.5" of gap vs 2". Any lower and I'd really be in trouble!
2u7lqhk.jpg

Back