• Register Today It's free!

Electric Cooling Fan

05fomoexplorerltd

Reaction score
City, State
Timbuktwo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer LTD
I'm going to have to replace my fan clutch in the very near future and I've read up on the Lincoln and Taurus electric cooling fan mod for the 3rd gen Explorers. But can anybody tell me why Rockauto has listings for an Aviator electric fan (http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=386227&cc=1440615&jsn=375) and an Explorer (http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1375465&cc=1430690&jsn=571). I have never seen an Explorer in any wreckers with an electric fan setup. What application would these parts from rockauto be for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No idea but why do you feel you need one? I'm in Texas and the stock heavy duty fan clutch does a fine job of keeping enough air moving that the a/c is ice cold even while parked idling in 100 degree weather. You should definitely not need any additional cooling in NY... Just be sure to get a SevereDuty rated clutch.

I did it on my 04 a couple of years ago with thermostat controller, Volvo relay and fan for less than a hundy! Works great and it keeps everything nice and tidy. One thing that has not been mentioned is that this mod takes that weight directly off the front of the water pump, helping that last longer. And when you need to change the serpentine belt, there is a ton of room to do that without have to snake the belt around that clutch fan assembly!

The aviator has both an electric and clutch fans. The electric fan is for the AC to be cold as at idle. Its for extra airflow across the condenser.

Some of the 02-05 explorers also had a small aux electric fan mounted on the front of the condensor on the pass side. I have only seen it in person once or twice. I have tried to figure out what package it came with, but I have had zero luck so far. the fan is visible from the front of the vehicle through the lower grill opening.

Some of the 02-05 explorers also had a small aux electric fan mounted on the front of the condensor on the pass side. I have only seen it in person once or twice. I have tried to figure out what package it came with, but I have had zero luck so far. the fan is visible from the front of the vehicle through the lower grill opening.

Probably the POSTAL edition. Since they spend a lot of time moving slow and stopped.

Back