• Register Today It's free!

Electric Fan

Blue_Oval_Ford

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport 4X4
Has anyone installed an electric fan in their explorer. If so, how much work was it to install, and did you have any problems with overheating. I read info on the black magic fan but heard of overheating issues with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe aldive installed on on his quest for 30mpg. Search for "quest for 30"

Pics of Install....

Heres some pics of one installed on mine.

I have Noticed:
Mileage improvements
Little faster throttle response
Little more available HP

I have no problems with overheating in any way. I have had this in for a few months and I have yet to see the temp guage reach half way. So as long as you are not putting your truck under extreme work load conditions, its worth the swap.

http://www.geocities.com/dmanswells/uhood.html

The black magic fan did not work for me as my truck almost overheated when I went to Palm Springs. The temp was 135 degrees on the pavement and the fan never turned off, and my gauge went almost to the top. Luckily I still had the old fan clutch in the back of the X and took the electric fan off and reinstalled the fan clutch. When I got home I did some research and found many F-150 owners installed an electric fan form a crown victoria police interceptor with no problems. I went ahead and got one from a salvage yard from a 1996 model and installed it, and have had no problems with it. The cost was $75 and I used the Flex-a-Lite thermostat that I used with the black magic fan. Easy installation too.

Thanks guys for the info as I want to free up some extra HP.

RickOTR,
Did you have to do any modifications to make it fit, or is it a direct bolt on. How difficult was the wiring.

I also had the Flex a Lite BLack Magic fan and no problems with overheating

did a very nice job for me, especially in the Summer heat....

Ide recoomed it, and i also never had a problem with it getting to hot off roading....

:thumbsup:

The black magic fan only puts out 2800 cfm with a 9.8 amp draw, but the crown victoria fan puts out 4900 cfm with a 12 amp draw. On a hot summer's day in the desert which would you want?

Back