• Register Today It's free!

Electric Trailer Brakes.

Cobra Pilot

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac
I just purchased a '07 Sport Trac with the 4.6 that I will used to pull my car trailer. I removed my brake controller from my previous vehicle and installed it with the Ford harness that came with the truck. Everything is correct, but the trailer brakes are very weak. Before the "swap" I could skid the trailer tires if I turned up the power knob, now nothing.

What I noticed was the difference in wire gauge. When I wired my Trail Blazer I used 10 gauge wire from the battery to the controller, and then 10 gauge back to the trailer plug. Using the supplied Ford harness, I noticed the wire is smaller and might be 12 gauge. Could this be the problem? I was going to re-wire using 10 gauge, but have not found a good way to run the wires through the firewall.

If I need to re-wire, where is a good place to get through the firewall? Thanx for any advice. Rob.

I've never had a problem with the wiring itself and don't think that is it. I would check the pins in the plug itself. Mine would push back and firth creating a weak connection. Ended up having to pull the factory plug and put a new one in it's place. I could not push the trailer plug in fully because it would push the pins back - then loose connectivity and almost lose brakes altogether.

Might be something to check first before pulling wire....

Back