Electrical plug needs to be replaced | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical plug needs to be replaced

I recently replaced my thermostat housing on my 1999 Ford Explorer and during the process some of the insulation on one of the electrical plug wiring came off. I believe the wiring may be associated with the fuel injectors. I’ve temporarily fixed the issue by wrapping each of the wires with electrical tape do they don’t touch. I’m trying to figure out how to buy these. Attached are pics of the plug.

View attachment 422656 View attachment 422657
Take the harness to the dealer & they’ll sell you a brand new adapter already attached to wire for you splice it or find one online

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently replaced my thermostat housing on my 1999 Ford Explorer and during the process some of the insulation on one of the electrical plug wiring came off. I believe the wiring may be associated with the fuel injectors. I’ve temporarily fixed the issue by wrapping each of the wires with electrical tape do they don’t touch. I’m trying to figure out how to buy these. Attached are pics of the plug.

Take the adapter to the parts dealer & they will sell you a new adapter with wires already attached for you to splice it.

Take the adapter to the parts dealer & they will sell you a new adapter with wires already attached for you to splice it into the old wire..I would use butt connectors & heat shrink instead of electrical tape though to give yourself a better more safe connection .Very easy fix
Very easy fix

It looks similar to a fuel injector connector. These are readily available at Pep Boys and Ebay. They come with a plug on one side and a pig tail on the other. Almost all 8 connectors on my 4.6 had broken tabs, so I just zip tied them to the injectors.

It looks similar to a fuel injector connector. These are readily available at Pep Boys and Ebay. They come with a plug on one side and a pig tail on the other. Almost all 8 connectors on my 4.6 had broken tabs, so I just zip tied them to the injectors.
The injector connectors on my donor engine harness were the only brittle ones on the whole rig. I had to cut them all off and solder in new ones. Not a giant problem, but it was one i didn't expect. And you're right, it really does look like an injector connector. I'm just not confident without being able to test up close.

That's what it looks like to me - it's the one i suggested a few posts back.

Without one of those tools to go in through the back of the plug and release the connectors to pull out through the back and slide shrink tube over them and reinstall. I have disconnected the plug from sensor and separated wires and coated wires with a thick coating of silicon like permatex on both sides and let it dry. Then you have a good solid rubberized coating that is there forever. Good luck

Without one of those tools to go in through the back of the plug and release the connectors to pull out through the back and slide shrink tube over them and reinstall. I have disconnected the plug from sensor and separated wires and coated wires with a thick coating of silicon like permatex on both sides and let it dry. Then you have a good solid rubberized coating that is there forever. Good luck
Might end up going this route instead of replacing the thing. Just seems like an easy fix.

Thanks for all the responses guys! I’ve already found knock sensor on ebay using the oem part # provided by Donald but it looks like it only comes with female connector. Looking at the first pic I need the male connector as you can see how the wiring has been patch with electrical tape.
For the various connectors, I was fortunate to have an Electric Supply Company in town. Talked to the fellow in parts, he hooked me up with around 12 different type 2 wire Male and female connectors. All together 40 pieces in all, all with pigtails, for $40. I have used about 10 so far on various vehicles, including Explorer. Just an idea to pass along.

ok guys is this electrical part for the knock sensor or fuel injector?

ok guys is this electrical part for the knock sensor or fuel injector?
The WPT994 looks like what fits the sensor, but this is by visual only. I have not verified fit personally. The fuel injector connector shows to be the Dorman 85850 or equivalent.

Can you chase the wires to a sensor? Or confirm the colors and match to a wiring diagram?

Back