Emergency brake, 97 Explorer XLT 4x4 SOHC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency brake, 97 Explorer XLT 4x4 SOHC

like I said in quote 9 get those shoes to seat if no contact no friction no braking
roscoe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Regardless whether it's anti seize on the shoes or not. Installing them can be a real PITA, and they are usually handled a lot.

Before installing, cover the friction surface with masking or painters tape to prevent anti seize or brake grease contamination.

I didn't pay this price, but some dealers have some of the really last OEM parts
in Germany for 2nd gen Explorers. For some sensors it makes sense to buy them, but for brake
shoes i have good experiences with Raybestos.
In our forum we know Rockauto very well, but this Explorerforum.com is really the first
choice for any information.

Wolfgang

They used to bend brake shoes to match the radius of the drum on drum-brake vehicles. I guess since most everything is disc brakes now they don't worry that about. I like to test-fit and grind down new brake shoes before installation to get good coverage. Many vehicles use the rear caliper to cinch down on the rear rotor as a parking brake. I much prefer that design to having tiny brake shoes and springs inside the rotor hat.

now I can adjust the parking brake tension manually at the intermediate cable.
This is an good idea, wish it could be possible to adjust the rear left/right cable seperately.
So like this willwood kit
https://www.amazon.com/Wilwood-330-9371-Parking-Brake-Cable/dp/B002G39K0A

This cable adaptor seems curios to me, first he pulls the driverside cable, then the passengerside cable.
https://up.picr.de/34411481lp.jpg
I think the amount of pedal slack and mybe different parts (do not matching 100% together)
will cause these problems.
Allready bought 2 set of brake shoes the last weeks, there is no grease on.
I will do some test miles an try to adjust them more better, a PITA
but i love/like my Explorer.

Wolfgang

Back