Emergency. Cant get hood open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Teressajane

Reaction score
City, State
Kendall, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer 4wd
Hi. Ok, I have several questions re my "new" aquisition of a 93 explorer, 4wd, 6 cyl. Friends told me if I could get their old explorer running, I could have it. Had been sitting in yard 5 years. Original owners. Only needed battery, and tire and viola! Off and running. 89,000 mi, 1 owner, everything works top to bottom cept wont switch into 4wd, and the fuel guage doesnt work. Thinking sender unit on guage? 4wd thinking switch bad?

Anyway, put 2,600 mi on it. No oil use, no overheating, nothing but an issue with gas...power...? It starts lilttle hard sometimes, and if u give it gas, it acts like its running out of gas, sometimes takes 2 or 3 min to do more than put put at 1 to 2 mph, then, bam, it takes off and no more issue. Couple times only when trying to pass I have pushed gas all way and it hesitates, then if I let up part way on gas, it takes off. Feels like gas is blocked. Fuel filter? Egr or pcm module or positive crankcase ? I should have drained old gas maybe, but s St tarted so easy. I did run out of gas once...seems to be running rougher since. Put gas cleaner in tank twice. Lucas.

Last but certainly not least....I cant get hood to open. Havent had any problems with latch. Today, opened, took battery out to use on my van, when went to put it back in, hood latch wont budge. Pulled release inside. Hoods an inch or so raised. I spent 2 hours in rain with screwdriver, pry bar to leverage latch, shined lite, squirted wd40 on latch, pulled on release...nothing. wont close all way, or open. Frantic. Need it for work in am. Must get open to put battery in. Tried to remove grill. Cant really reach 2 bolts for hood assembly, but must be something?

Thanks. Sorry so long. Oregonwolf@gmail.com

I'm not sure how you got it in the position it is in now.

Once the latch is opened the hood can lift an inch or so. At that point you just push the lever of the latch to release the safety and now you can lift the hood...

If you couldn't get the first part to release I'd say look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2610803&postcount=6

Since your hood came up some I don't think the above will help, other than you can now see what the latch looks like...

You will probably need a 2nd person to push the latch around using a screw driver etc. while you look up there to see what is holding the hood down.

This video might help you (maybe give you some more ideas) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-xs3dPPmEI

~Mark

Hopefully you got the hood open... As to your other questions, I'd start with finding out of there are any codes coming from the computer. That will - hopefully - point you in a direction to solving the hesitation issue (or it could be needing a new set of spark plugs, etc.). The 4x4 issue is likely the gear motor underneath, which seems to be a very common problem. It's an inexpensive fix as long as you're willing to pull it off and replace the bushing. There's an extensive write-up elsewhere on this site and according to one person it's even possible to fix the problem without pulling the gear motor.

Back