Engine Coolant Recommendations? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Coolant Recommendations?

We'll whether it's dirty or not, you can't seem to tell what fluid was used. And that makes you concerned what to use to top off. I'd drain it, flush a few times, and put in whatever you prefer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not my vehicle!! I am assisting him.

Zerex G05 (HOAT) is the factory spec.

Not my vehicle!! I am assisting him.
I was responding to the OP, which is you, and you said you could not tell which fluid was in there. Later you said, "It was hard to tell what colour is in it. Its not pink, darker, not orange dirtier."
Whether it's your vehicle or not, I'm simply responding to your posts, and didn't mean to upset you.
Later...

I was responding to the OP, which is you, and you said you could not tell which fluid was in there. Later you said, "It was hard to tell what colour is in it. Its not pink, darker, not orange dirtier."
Whether it's your vehicle or not, I'm simply responding to your posts, and didn't mean to upset you.
Later...

@thebrakeman
Oh wow, no offense period. LOL

Merely saying its my son's and I don't have access to it all the time. He'll be down this weekend and I'll have another look at it. I spotted the overflow being quite low but check the rad and it was fine so I wasn't concerned. I told him we should top this up but I didn't push it as the stickers on the over flow area clear other than a X through using Green fluid. I'll use the universal Prestone( I have it already) if I can't get G05. I am don't know if this vehicle uses a pressurized overflow or not. But the rad cap looks normal so I'd say no.

PS: I visit to learn more and more and try helping others hear best I can without hands on reference. Then I also know what to what out for like no getting a 2011 or newer. 3.5L has a pump built into the block which fails killing the engines and its turbo, which I don't like. 2010 is the last best year for the True Explorer builds.

Well we discussed it and he's going to pickup a jug of Premixed GO5 Zerex at Walmart which is only $10 and be done with it. I expect he'll use half the jug bringing it to the line.

Ford coolant chart indicates what coolant was used in the vehicle from the factory.
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/coolantsEN.pdf

Only questionable Explorer years are 2002 and 2011 that used two different types.
Page 2

The engine antifreeze/coolant usage noted in the chart above applies to all engine types (e.g., gasoline and diesel) available for a particular vehicle.

G = Green-colored engine coolant approved to Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A (Motorcraft® Premium Antifreeze/Coolant)

O = Orange-colored engine coolant approved to Ford specification WSS-M97B44-D or WSS-M97B44-D2 (Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant)

Y = Yellow-colored engine coolant approved to Ford specification WSS-M97B51-A1 (Motorcraft® Gold Antifreeze/Coolant)

DG = Dark green-colored engine coolant approved to Ford specification WSS-M97B55-A (Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant)

As marked clearly on the overflow, NOT GREEN and Yellow chart indicated with their spec number. From other it indicating to us HOAT as is the G-05 I mention rather than the universal Prestone I had.

A lot of heavy rain over night and day. Some wet leaked in around the front dome light (at the front windshield) according to my son. I expect its due to the flow or lack of it because of the sunroof. They are a continuous source of water problems in some vehicles over the years. Had trouble with the on in his 02 Explorer as well. This was very likely aggravated with the angle it was on sitting in the yard on the grass.

Back