Engine died on the highway and then started right back up on the side of the road | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine died on the highway and then started right back up on the side of the road

Mark6556

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
I've got a 2001 with the 5.0 v8 engine. I was driving on the highway and felt a deceleration... looked at my speedo and the speed was dropping. Stepped on the accelerator and nothing. Noticed my battery light came on (indicating the engine had stopped) and pulled off to the side of the road. For the hell of it I turned the ignition to see if it would start. It started right up and I drove off. Floored the accelerator and no problem. Hasn't happened again since.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

I've got a 2001 with the 5.0 v8 engine. I was driving on the highway and felt a deceleration... looked at my speedo and the speed was dropping. Stepped on the accelerator and nothing. Noticed my battery light came on (indicating the engine had stopped) and pulled off to the side of the road. For the hell of it I turned the ignition to see if it would start. It started right up and I drove off. Floored the accelerator and no problem. Hasn't happened again since.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Any chance there may be ice in the fuel tank? I had this happen many years ago and as I stepped on the brakes to stop on the shoulder I heard something move in the tank, then the engine started right up again and I didn't have any further problem. Try putting a bottle of Heet in the fuel tank. Couldn't hurt.

Back