Engine Gurgle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Gurgle?

xnetwham

Reaction score
When I accelerate I hear a noise that sounds like a gurgling or gasping at roughly 2500-3000 rpm. I remain on the gas and the sounds eventually seems to work itself out, however appears again and again. The sport trac accelerates fine, but this noise has me concerned for a possible repair ahead. I am about to make a cross country trip from New Jersey to Oklahoma and the last thing I need is a breakdown along the way. Thanks in advance for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 03 Sport Trac 4.0 SOHC does the same thing. I haven't tracked it down yet. Has anyone here heard of this?

I hear the exact same thing... it only happens when accelerating. Sounds almost like oil or gas flowing... or something like that.

By the way, I'm new. Pretty cool forum you guys have here.

EDIT:

I have a 2001 Sport Trac

My '04 ST does it as well, as did my friend's '00 Sport, which leads me to think it's just something with the SOHC motor, as my OHV 4.0L in my '95 didn't do it. If I had to guess, I would say it's something with the air intake ducting.

Tom

My 02 has it. I thought it might be a small exhaust leak. It sounds like it comes from the footwell on the passenger side.

yeah i have the same prob on my 01 sport trac and i got under my truck and i saw a crack where the pipe goes into the muffler i thought this might be it so i put a screw driver in there to open it up more but sounds still there i will be replacing it to see if that fixes the problem

Mine turned out to be a sensor or valve of some type at the front drivers side of the engine with two vacuum hoses coming out of it. I also has a plug. Something inside was rattling against the back like a very small drum head. I put a small piece of foam held on with a zip tie and the sound is gone.

Mine turned out to be a sensor or valve of some type at the front drivers side of the engine with two vacuum hoses coming out of it. I also has a plug. Something inside was rattling against the back like a very small drum head. I put a small piece of foam held on with a zip tie and the sound is gone.[/QUOTE

how did u figure out what it was ? and also i don't mean to go off topic but does anyone have a squeaking noise coming from the bed when going over bumps u have to have your back window down to hear it

how did u figure out what it was ? and also i don't mean to go off topic but does anyone have a squeaking noise coming from the bed when going over bumps u have to have your back window down to hear it

All the time...i just put bearing grease on everything that moves :)

Mine turned out to be a sensor or valve of some type at the front drivers side of the engine with two vacuum hoses coming out of it. I also has a plug. Something inside was rattling against the back like a very small drum head. I put a small piece of foam held on with a zip tie and the sound is gone.[/QUOTE

how did u figure out what it was ?

I set the parking brake had my wife put it in drive and bring the RPMs up to 1800 which is where I could hear the noise and I just listened around the engine compartment until I found it.

I set the parking brake had my wife put it in drive and bring the RPMs up to 1800 which is where I could hear the noise and I just listened around the engine compartment until I found it.

Was this problem affecting the driving?
Mine bogs down at around 3000 RPMs and doesnt want to shift right

I haven't noticed any effects on driving.

Mine turned out to be a sensor or valve of some type at the front drivers side of the engine with two vacuum hoses coming out of it. I also has a plug. Something inside was rattling against the back like a very small drum head. I put a small piece of foam held on with a zip tie and the sound is gone.

From inside the truck did it seem like the noise was "under your feet" as you were driving?
Mine is making a buzzing that happens at about 1800 rpm and sounds like it's coming from the other side of the drivers side firewall.

Mine just sounded like it coming from the engine compartment. I couldn't isolate it until I had the help and could look around while it was making the sound.

and also i don't mean to go off topic but does anyone have a squeaking noise coming from the bed when going over bumps u have to have your back window down to hear it

its the tailgate hinges or straps
they get rusty and squeak, mine does it, i just havent taken time to put any oil on them. 3 in 1 oil should do the trick.

as i stated before i thought it was an exhaust leak found out it was a combination i had a crack before my muffler and the gaskets behind the cat were bad i added catback exhaust and now its gone and my truck sounds amazing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back