Engine Not Cranking - Known Issue With Starter Solenoid Connector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Not Cranking - Known Issue With Starter Solenoid Connector

Justinwht

Reaction score
City, State
Rosston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT, '96 XLT, '00 XLS
This is a follow up of replacing my starter on 2000 Explorer with 4.6 L OHV engine.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...rter-replacment-2000-explorer-4-l-ohv.462220/

Ford has determined that corrosion in the last 4 inches of
the vehicle's S-terminal (ignition) lead may have been the
cause of / or could result in a "NO CRANK" condition.

The replacement starter had a six inch lead with a ring crimp connector already screwed on and other end with a butt-splice connector.

I didn't find any corrosion, besides when I had the starter unbolted I had someone try starting it and the solenoid clicked and pushed the starter gear out. So it was indeed a bad starter.

One caveat - the butt-splice crimp connector is a 22-18 ga (red) connector, but the solenoid signal lead is about 16 ga. So I cut off the manufactures splice and crimped on a 16-14 ga (blue) connector.

The manufacture's connector had a heat shrink tube around it, which I had to cut off. So for my connector I packed both ends with silicone grease and wrapped the whole thing with fusion tape (or you could use electric sealing mastic). Two things to point out -- Use the proper crimp flat die for insulated connectors, not the knuckle die for un-insulated connectors; wipe off engine and silicone grease with mineral sprites (thinking back high-pressure brake cleaner would have been better) before wrapping with tape or mastic.

signal_lead_wire.jpg

TBS_statement.jpg

TBS_photot.jpg

Back