Starting Issue Starter Spins but engine does not | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting Issue Starter Spins but engine does not

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

gdonham

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer SPort
My daughter reported to me that my 1999 Explorer Sport 4.0 OHV will not start. The start turns but the engine is not turning. She describes what sounds like the starter solenoid is not engaging the starter motor to the flywheel. I searched the forums and found no symptoms like this. Is the starter solenoid possibly not engaging and that is why she hears the starter turning but not the engine turning over. I have seen flywheel teeth broken or damaged on other vehicles but I dont think this is the problem. Usually if that is what is wrong you can turn the engine a little and the starter will engage.

I suppose it would be a remote possibility, but could the starter bolts have backed out, hence the starter teeth have lost contact with the flexplate?

sounds like the bendix in the starter, remove the starter and have it tested.

sounds like the bendix in the starter, remove the starter and have it tested.

That's the most likely scenario. If the bendix breaks, the starter will spin, but not drive the starter gear into the flywheel teeth. Take the starter out and have it tested.

Back