• Register Today It's free!

Engine Paint

WVUexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XLT 4x4
This weekend I am taking apart the top of my engine (everything up to and including the cylinder heads) and I figured I'd paint the parts for protection but I have no idea what color(s) to use. So I was wondering if any of y'all had suggestions.

Pictures of your painted engines would be greatly appreciated so I could get a good idea on how the colors look on the parts.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use whatever color you like, but use a high temp paint and prep your surfaces well if you want it to stick. Even a seemingly clean part can have a fine layer of old oil and grease, so consider using prep spray.

You could also powdercoat parts like the intake and valve covers.

I'm a fan of gray and blacks with some color highlights. Like metallic red valve covers, pulleys and brackets. Don't paint the intakes anything odd, just silver.

arco is right about the prep. it is the most important step that most people gloss over (no pun intended)

This weekend I am taking apart the top of my engine (everything up to and including the cylinder heads) and I figured I'd paint the parts for protection but I have no idea what color(s) to use. So I was wondering if any of y'all had suggestions.

Pictures of your painted engines would be greatly appreciated so I could get a good idea on how the colors look on the parts.

Thanks

i have some pics.i used high heat engine paint "old ford blue" and regular car paint "GM metalic gunmetal" both Dupli-Color,then i sprayed it with a clear color flake,then high temp clear over everything.its CRAZY in the sun.honestly the valve covers and intakes doesnt get hot enough to mess the regular paint up.:D:D
o my motor may look a little different than yours tho;)
2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

you can see the rainbows or color flake in these,only see it in the sun tho
colorflake1.jpg

and the oil pan(i run a sohc oil pan)
oilpan-2.jpg

That's what I'm talking about.

i have some pics.i used high heat engine paint "old ford blue" and regular car paint "GM metalic gunmetal" both Dupli-Color,then i sprayed it with a clear color flake,then high temp clear over everything.its CRAZY in the sun.honestly the valve covers and intakes doesnt get hot enough to mess the regular paint up.:D:D
o my motor may look a little different than yours tho;)
2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

you can see the rainbows or color flake in these,only see it in the sun tho
colorflake1.jpg

and the oil pan(i run a sohc oil pan)
oilpan-2.jpg

The pictures don't even do it justice. That blues looks sweet under the hood.

Another idea is use a color theme with your truck. For example mine's teal with everything else black and a couple red accents so I'd go with red engine parts.

You guys knew it was coming. Here are my two Lego motors.. (click the pics to get full size)

The motor in the explorer
2343573777_26e65227d8.jpg

engine-rebuild 019 by maniak_az, on Flickr

Installed..
2343573981_581a33c695.jpg

engine-rebuild 031 by maniak_az, on Flickr

Here is the motor for the tow rig (Quadravan).
Dry fit.
3666058787_13c459eea8.jpg

460-dry-fit 005 by maniak_az, on Flickr

Installed.
3666887600_5c4301140c.jpg

460-end_of_install_day_1 007 by maniak_az, on Flickr

I use Duplicolor engine paint.
The colors I've used are....
Ford Blue
Grabber Green
Daytona Yellow
Ford Red
Cast Grey.

Until you cure the paint (drive it a bunch) engine paint is easy to scrape off. It will also come off very easily with carb cleaner etc. Once its cured it stays on much better.

~Mark

You guys knew it was coming. Here are my two Lego motors.. (click the pics to get full size)

The motor in the explorer
2343573777_26e65227d8.jpg

engine-rebuild 019 by maniak_az, on Flickr

Installed..
2343573981_581a33c695.jpg

engine-rebuild 031 by maniak_az, on Flickr

Here is the motor for the tow rig (Quadravan).
Dry fit.
3666058787_13c459eea8.jpg

460-dry-fit 005 by maniak_az, on Flickr

Installed.
3666887600_5c4301140c.jpg

460-end_of_install_day_1 007 by maniak_az, on Flickr

I use Duplicolor engine paint.
The colors I've used are....
Ford Blue
Grabber Green
Daytona Yellow
Ford Red
Cast Grey.

Until you cure the paint (drive it a bunch) engine paint is easy to scrape off. It will also come off very easily with carb cleaner etc. Once its cured it stays on much better.

~Mark
Lol i was waiting ;)still love it:)

Lego engine = awesome

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i ended up going with ford blue for the valve covers and cast aluminum for the upper intake.

And jd4242, when i saw the supercharger on top of you engine it made my day/life. Thanks

Lego engine = awesome

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i ended up going with ford blue for the valve covers and cast aluminum for the upper intake.

And jd4242, when i saw the supercharger on top of you engine it made my day/life. Thanks

Thanks man;)

Back